VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Got a set of Merc fondmetals in 16x7 et23 & 16x8 et11 (maybe tight).. will give them a go once the van lowered properly... then polished and painted.. I had a set on my beetle and they looked awsome but in porsche patter (same sizes and offset)

Tried them up against for reference but will def need to change the tyre sizes

My Porsche Fondmetal ones i sold a while back

Not sure how low i will have to go to pull it off :)

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Also had some on one of my golfs in 15" a while back to.. I love the petal pattern much nicer and rarer then the BBS etc

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
definately mate...T:

i picked up a set of these a while back, over 30 years old, refurbed em back to bare metal, ready for paint. they will go on something one day, also have 5 wolfrace slotmags :)

before...

after...

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
Dont they?! I: :D
happy to see any info mate?

if someone stumps up on a 92w or above tyres on 16's...9j or wider and low et's and are down low...and i mean low...then i want to see pics...T:

i am also talking about a van that drives and does not rub the tyres....

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I wanna see this too, HOW LOW CAN YOU GO? Any lower than 60mm springs and I think you'll have issues, surely? :*

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
I wanna see this too, HOW LOW CAN YOU GO? Any lower than 60mm springs and I think you'll have issues, surely? :*
Its totally possible but it would mean running a low rated tyre is all.. Im not about to do that only because i do carry quite a bit of weight regular like ;) Im happy how she sits for now.. I've had low vans and skinny tyres etc :eek: dont suit the roads round here and im tired of having fillings replaced :ILU:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Its totally possible but it would mean running a low rated tyre is all.. Im not about to do that only because i do carry quite a bit of weight regular like ;) Im happy how she sits for now.. I've had low vans and skinny tyres etc :eek: dont suit the roads round here and im tired of having fillings replaced :ILU:
That's what I thought, had a good chat with Si when I got my wheels off him, I wouldn't want to go any lower as if I hit a dip at any real speed, sometimes I hear a slight rub as it hits the arch, nothing major at all. I wouldn't want to try my luck though with smaller tyres. Would look good mind but as Si said, it would need some serious money thrown at it for arch work, just not worth it.

Love to see some pics if somebody has done it though. T: Loving those banded steels too!!!! :ILU:

Robbie

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
Si is the man in the know.. Guess thats what happens when youve had as many rims as him ;) I've had allot of sets but not a patch on some of the guys on here :eek:

Im lovin my chumphy ride at the mo, the 55 profiles are a god send compared with the 225 40's i had been running :ILU:

·
17,028 Posts
Si is the man in the know.. Guess thats what happens when youve had as many rims as him ;) I've had allot of sets but not a patch on some of the guys on here :eek:

Im lovin my chumphy ride at the mo, the 55 profiles are a god send compared with the 225 40's i had been running :ILU:
no where your coming from mate...

a way under rated small tyre would sort the problem...

but personaly a 91w tyre is as low as i would go...with out a doubt..

82/84 weight tyres on a van might get you low,but in my opinion are un safe and pretty much damn right stupid...i am all for looking good..but they has to be some kind of sense there...

195/40/16 tyre on a van is a no go for me..but will get you down silly low with fat rears and low et's..:ILU:

the rims are looking sweet mate...its the new look...you can stick your 18's...:D

·
17,028 Posts
That's what I thought, had a good chat with Si when I got my wheels off him, I wouldn't want to go any lower as if I hit a dip at any real speed, sometimes I hear a slight rub as it hits the arch, nothing major at all. I wouldn't want to try my luck though with smaller tyres. Would look good mind but as Si said, it would need some serious money thrown at it for arch work, just not worth it.

Love to see some pics if somebody has done it though. T: Loving those banded steels too!!!! :ILU:

Robbie
the only man i know of that has done it is georgyv on here...slammed green t4 with 9j et15 rear borbet A's..bought from me..

his van was being painted though,so he managed to get the 205/55/16 tyres on with some arch mods,flaring etc...

anything is possible though,if you throw enough money at it...i myself like self modded vans,hard work and getting somewhere after messing about...

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
the only man i know of that has done it is georgyv on here...slammed green t4 with 9j et15 rear borbet A's..bought from me..

his van was being painted though,so he managed to get the 205/55/16 tyres on with some arch mods,flaring etc...

anything is possible though,if you throw enough money at it...i myself like self modded vans,hard work and getting somewhere after messing about...
I agree, my van might not be as nice as some but anybody can send a van to a company and pay enough money to get them to do the work. My bus is more of an evolution, I've done it all myself (apart from the lowering) and really enjoy doing it too.

I will look georgyv up and see if I can find those pictures, love the Borbet A's!

Hope the baby is settling in mate,

Robbie

41 - 60 of 69 Posts