VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lungs have had enough.
I want to retrofit a modern high quality cabin air filter to the air intake on my '94. Anything much newer comes with a pollen filter. All I have is a hole in the bulkhead that lines up with the air intake funnel across under the bonnet.

Has anyone any suggestions as to a way to do this without just gaffa taping a cut-down piece of filter into the intake hole?
I'm hoping to make it easy to replace regularly and keep the cabin clean and pure : )

Thanks!

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,038 Posts
Do you have the "Divers Helmet" under the bonnet?
If so, the filter should be inside that.
If you don't ....well...all I can think is someone previously changed the layout.... (I MAY be wrong, as I don't know the old vans, but AFAIK, ALL had a filter for the air-intake!)
"Pollen filter"....NO...that only came into existence as a "fancy name" for a paper filter when air-con came around.
Think about it....what is the difference between "dust" and "pollen"?!?!?!?
They are both just SMALL amounts of pollution in the air.
A standard paper filter does the same job for the air taken into a vehicle.

MY "pollen" filter is actually worthless....considering I smoke my pipe in the van! o_O

Pics of your current setup may help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have the "Divers Helmet" under the bonnet?
If so, the filter should be inside that.
If you don't ....well...all I can think is someone previously changed the layout.... (I MAY be wrong, as I don't know the old vans, but AFAIK, ALL had a filter for the air-intake!)
"Pollen filter"....NO...that only came into existence as a "fancy name" for a paper filter when air-con came around.
Think about it....what is the difference between "dust" and "pollen"?!?!?!?
They are both just SMALL amounts of pollution in the air.
A standard paper filter does the same job for the air taken into a vehicle.

MY "pollen" filter is actually worthless....considering I smoke my pipe in the van! o_O

Pics of your current setup may help.
This isn't a pic of my van but it shows the old-school air intake setup. The intake is on the right, the tube above it lines up with the bonnet down. Intake is through the bonnet.

I discovered this: Pollenfilter – T4-Wiki
Get google to translate.
It suggests a full retrofit by replacing the whole intake setup with the newer (post 1996) air filter and connecting collars.
Im wondering if anyone has any ideas to do one better than this, without needing to buy so many new parts?

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,038 Posts
I suggest you contact CaliCampers (don't understand why this suddenly started happening, but I mentioned them 5 times since Christmas....I have NO connection to them, and I live in Norway!?!??!?)
They will likely have the 2nd hand parts you need for the conversion though.

@CaliCampers....feel free to pay commission to me anytime. :giggle:

·
Registered
2 Posts
My lungs have had enough.
I want to retrofit a modern high quality cabin air filter to the air intake on my '94. Anything much newer comes with a pollen filter. All I have is a hole in the bulkhead that lines up with the air intake funnel across under the bonnet.

Has anyone any suggestions as to a way to do this without just gaffa taping a cut-down piece of filter into the intake hole?
I'm hoping to make it easy to replace regularly and keep the cabin clean and pure : )

Thanks!
Here's what I've done for that on a left hand drive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts