VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a front fog light wiring loom. My 2009 T5 has a rear fog light but no front fog lights, so the plan was to retrofit them.

The wiring loom has six plugs on it (numbered in red on the photos). I know where four of them go (1,2,5 and 6). I do not know what plugs 3 and 4 are for.

1. Behind O/S Fog Light. 10 socket plug for head lights I believe.
2. O/S Fog Light.
3. 8 socket plug with two wires only. Both white & yellow.
4. 2 socket plug with two wires, white & brown and yellow & brown.

5. Behind N/S Head Light for head lights I believe.
6. N/S Fog Light.

When I connected plugs 1 and 5 up to the van. The head lights worked but the radiator fan ran continuously.

So, I need help with plugs 3 and 4. 3 must go near the back of the O/S fog light and plug 4 must go somewhere between the head lights judging by its position on the loom.

I'm rather hoping that if I can sort out plugs 4 and 5 that the front fog lights will work.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Photos to follow...

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
1: Plugs into main loom just behind O/S fog lamp. 2: Plug for the actual O/S fog lamp. 3: This plug has only two wires (both yellow & white) it's only a short length so whatever it should plug into should be nearby but I cannot see it. Any ideas what it is?

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Plug number 4 is mid way between the loom ends which would place it about the centre of the vehicle. It has two wires brown & white and brown & yellow. Any ideas what it is for?

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I have worked out that the two yellow & white wires on plug 3 go to the fog lamp plugs (2 and 6), one wire to each. So I really need to find where plug 3 goes. Any ideas?

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,759 Posts
That's obviously a second hand bit of loom which may have plugs for things you don't have. There doesn't appear to be any connections to go to the new headlight switch you must have with the extra front fog light position.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's obviously a second hand bit of loom which may have plugs for things you don't have. There doesn't appear to be any connections to go to the new headlight switch you must have with the extra front fog light position.
Of the six plugs I know where 1 and 5 go (Headlamp plugs), I know where 2 and 6 go (fog lamps). I'm pretty sure that plug 4 is a temperature sender as when I attached only plugs 1 and 5 the radiator fan ran continuously.

Plug 3 must fit to something near the O/S fog lamp due to the length of the spur and since the horn is there (somewhere abouts) I am guessing that maybe 3 fits to the horn.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I already have a rear fog lamp and the switch I have has two pull positions for the fog lamps. This loom is only for the front of the vehicle at does not go to the switch.

·
2,759 Posts
I already have a rear fog lamp and the switch I have has two pull positions for the fog lamps. This loom is only for the front of the vehicle at does not go to the switch.
Unless your van originally had front fog lamps that have been removed it will never work with the loom you've got. I imagine its come off a van with fog lamps fitted at the factory so interfaced with wiring you don't have. You need an aftermarket loom for retrofitting front fog lamps which will have the correct plugs & relays if required plus connections to the main light switch & that's it, nothing to the headlights, horn, temperature sensor or anything else the one you've got has.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
2,759 Posts
Wow! £57.50 for some wires.

I already have all the plugs.

I now know that the thick brown wire in plug 1 position 10 is common to both the fog lamp plugs 2 and 6 brown wires.

I do agree that it's beginning to look as if I need to connect wires to the switch (possibly via a relay).
This is true & would only take an hour or so. Yes you do need a relay with a fused live feed & a switch line from the headlight switch, but if you don't know what to do & how to do it :*

·
2,759 Posts
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=991266&page=2

Ignore what that thread is about, you'll need a repair wire from VW or elsewhere to go in position 8/NL on the headlamp switch plug which will currently be empty & the supply to terminal 30 on the relay needs to be fused from an ignition switched supply.

Google is your friend!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts