VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently spoke with the DVLA prior to applying for my V5 to be changed to "motor caravan". When I spoke to them they advised me to attend the local DVLA with photos and a weigh bridge certificate, I questioned why at the time but the advised it wouldn't be considered without it.

The weight when weighed was 2020kg Gross. This was with a complete conversion but with nothing else in. This has now been changed on my V5 from 2800 gross. I am not entirely sure as to the effect this may have or indeed the point of it. Can anyone shed any light on this? I did tell them at the local office I didn't really want it changed she said they would send it through anyway but they wouldn't change it. Should I be applying for it to be put back to the way it was or is it better for me for this to be changed? The way I see it is 2800 was the max load to be legal but now 2020 is, therefore if I load it fully for a camping trip I am therefore going to be illegal, is this correct or am I missing something?:*

·
Registered
319 Posts
Due to it being a motor caravan now not commercial that should be unlaiden weight not maximum weight,

For vans it's a maximum weight able to be carried,
For motorbikes it's deemed to be ok as a class 4 anything up to 3.5 tonne,

So shouldn't have any issues with weight limits,

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I would have thought, but the n1 classification hasn't changed nor has the goods vehicle bit. The thing what doesn't add up is that previously it stated 2800kg gross, obviously the van itself doesn't weigh this, it now shows 2020kg gross, which is exactly what the van weighs. Will give the dvla a call later in the week.

Anyone got anymore thoughts before I do?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spoke to the DVLA today who confirmed that the revenue weight should always be the unlaiden weight as it leaves the factory, therefore they shouldn't state 2800kg I should state the actual weight of the vehicle. He weight is now correct and revenue weight doesn't mean a great deal other than when it comes opto the congestion charge, under 2500 makes you exempt.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi there

The new revenue weight is the max ladden weight that the van can carry i.e. max gross weight (not the unladden weight). That is what I was told just now on the phone. For campers you can get it weighted with all your gear (fridge bed ect..) at your council weighbridge and they can give you a certificate of the weight.

It then takes up to 6 weeks for dvla to make the change once they received signed section 8

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hi there

The new revenue weight is the max ladden weight that the van can carry i.e. max gross weight (not the unladden weight). That is what I was told just now on the phone. For campers you can get it weighted with all your gear (fridge bed ect..) at your council weighbridge and they can give you a certificate of the weight.

It then takes up to 6 weeks for dvla to make the change once they received signed section 8
That can't be, my revenue weight currently says 2046kg, that's the unladen weight and it's a t32, so it's gross is 3200kg!!!!!
I actually want to downplate to 2800kg to regulate my wheels, but I need to be careful on this . I mean if i get weighed with the full camping gear, kitchen etc and it says 2500kg and that goes on the V5 the police might assume I can carry another 1.2 tonne which is what it can normally legally carry making my situation dire , 3.7 tonne, and I get arrested.:D

·
Registered
878 Posts
I've seen plenty of threads on here about changing to a camper with DVLA and can't ever remember reading anything about having the gross weight changed.

I'm no expert but thinking logically, when you get it weighed and it says 2020kg, that can't be your laden gross weight on the road as you'll never be able to legally drive it given that the driver and passenger(s) will add weight! We'd all have to put 3" thick lead soundproofing on the floor before it got weighed and then swap it for the wife, kids, dog, beers etc etc when we hit the road to the beach. :D

I figure there must be a little more to this. Hopefully someone who has gone through this will be able to clarify with some absolute facts.

·
Premium Member
4,760 Posts
hi done two this year never asked of me just filled in the v5 and sent off pics T: 2weeks then its done happy daysT:T:T:

·
Premium Member
4,760 Posts
no they only change to motor caravan on v5 thats all u what T:T:T:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
The revenue weight shown on your V5 is the maximum laden weight of the vehicle that it should be when used on a public road. That's the vehicle, fuel, gas, water, clothes, food, driver, passengers etc etc.

This should also be shown on the vin plate on the vehicle. which may be superseded by the converters plate if they have uprated the chassis to a higher weight.

The vin plate also show the GTM for the vehicle and a trailer.

Has something Changed!!! I am in the process of uprating my T26 to a gross weight of 2800kg having just got my certificate from SV Tech. The registration document I sent off three or four weeks ago is requesting a change to the revenue weight from 2600kg Gross to 2800kg Gross. I have new legal sticker on the vehicle stating my new gross weight of 2800kg and GTW of 4800kg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts