VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install a reversing camera. I know the type of reversing cameras in the ebay advert below are widely used on T4s but I would just like to check if they are high enough off the ground to let you see the outer corners of the bumper. The demo pics I have seen suggest that the field of view is not wide enough so I would be grateful for any help T:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-Reverse-Camera-Kit-For-VW-Volkswagen-T4-Multivan-Transporter-Caravelle/252779889165?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=2&asc=40656&meid=e96ecab6a6fe47d2aa20ad0f8dc372c1&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=6&mehot=lo&sd=371867887734

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,038 Posts
The wireless ones are also notorious for suffering from noise....even a mobile 'phone has been known to interfere with the signal.

If there's even any electrical cables (overhead or underground) in the area you are, they can cause poor video.

If you're going to the effort of mounting a spoiler, better to run a "wired" one in.
Wireless is not really wireless anyway, as you still need power cables to it.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The wireless ones are also notorious for suffering from noise....even a mobile 'phone has been known to interfere with the signal.

If there's even any electrical cables (overhead or underground) in the area you are, they can cause poor video.

If you're going to the effort of mounting a spoiler, better to run a "wired" one in.
Wireless is not really wireless anyway, as you still need power cables to it.
Thanks I did not know that. I had seen the wireless ones, and they did seem attractive but I was more inclined towards a wired in system to try to prevent hard to track problems with wireless tech'.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I fitted a reversing camera in my camper conversion last year, drilled a hole above the licence plate beneath the plastic handle and mounted it there pointing down at the bumper, can't quite see corner to corner bumper but once you know where it's blind spot is, you compensate with the mirror, wouldn't do without it as it still offers so much more vision than not having one and being able to reverse right up to my wall without bump parking is a bonus

·
Registered
108 Posts
ohh and mine is fed off the reverse light for power, cables feed a replacement rear view mirror in the front which turns a screen on in it when reversing, then flicks back to a normal mirror during normal driving

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,083 Posts
FWIW, this is the extent of my view with the Pioneer Reversing Camera fitted dead centre on tailgate just above numberplate (on a T5) ....

Wireless vs Wired ... I have had both and while Wired is definately superior in quality, the wireless ones are not bad by any means - You don't need HD resolution and a bit of noise is hardly a show stopper given what you are needing it for. If running a cable from rear to from means big disruptions to the interior, then wireless could well be the better overall option :)

You can get some good wireless systems as well - For the cost I paid for the Pioneer Camera I have fitted now, I bought and fitted on my Renault Master a Wireless Camera setup, and it came with a 7" display and built in Sat-Nav.
The Pioneer for sure is better quality, but the Master one did the job I needed it to do 100%

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I fitted a reversing camera in my camper conversion last year, drilled a hole above the licence plate beneath the plastic handle and mounted it there pointing down at the bumper, can't quite see corner to corner bumper but once you know where it's blind spot is, you compensate with the mirror, wouldn't do without it as it still offers so much more vision than not having one and being able to reverse right up to my wall without bump parking is a bonus
Thanks that is pretty much what I thought would happen. I need to see the corners so will rule out the number plate camera option.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FWIW, this is the extent of my view with the Pioneer Reversing Camera fitted dead centre on tailgate just above numberplate (on a T5) ....

Wireless vs Wired ... I have had both and while Wired is definately superior in quality, the wireless ones are not bad by any means - You don't need HD resolution and a bit of noise is hardly a show stopper given what you are needing it for. If running a cable from rear to from means big disruptions to the interior, then wireless could well be the better overall option :)

You can get some good wireless systems as well - For the cost I paid for the Pioneer Camera I have fitted now, I bought and fitted on my Renault Master a Wireless Camera setup, and it came with a 7" display and built in Sat-Nav.
The Pioneer for sure is better quality, but the Master one did the job I needed it to do 100%
Thanks for all the useful info there and the camera pic - that is almost corner to corner. As I said above I think I will go for a spoiler mounted camera. I will look into Pioneer cameras as yours seems more than good enough. I would be more than happy to have a simple on/off switch if connecting it to the gearbox/reversing light switch is too difficult.

·
8,083 Posts
Thanks for all the useful info there and the camera pic - that is almost corner to corner. As I said above I think I will go for a spoiler mounted camera. I will look into Pioneer cameras as yours seems more than good enough. I would be more than happy to have a simple on/off switch if connecting it to the gearbox/reversing light switch is too difficult.
As it happens, (but talking about a T5.1 now rather then the T4 you have), I wired up a Pioneer camera just a couple of days ago and spliced into the black/green wire that runs along the roof from light up to roof and then rear to front. Very straightforward to do and you can pick up that wire in many different locations on that route, wherever is handiest.
Although a switch providing power - maybe tapped from the radio ignition so not left on accidently? - will be the easiest. (The Pioneer camera is pre-fused at 2A, so very minimal extra power to draw off the radio ignition).

My own camera is wired via reversing light wire, but as it happens I do intend to redo it so I can also switch it on "on demand" as well as automatically on reverse, so when I am towing I can easily switch it on at any time to check the towball & hitch :)

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As it happens, (but talking about a T5.1 now rather then the T4 you have), I wired up a Pioneer camera just a couple of days ago and spliced into the black/green wire that runs along the roof from light up to roof and then rear to front. Very straightforward to do and you can pick up that wire in many different locations on that route, wherever is handiest.
Although a switch providing power - maybe tapped from the radio ignition so not left on accidently? - will be the easiest. (The Pioneer camera is pre-fused at 2A, so very minimal extra power to draw off the radio ignition).

My own camera is wired via reversing light wire, but as it happens I do intend to redo it so I can also switch it on "on demand" as well as automatically on reverse, so when I am towing I can easily switch it on at any time to check the towball & hitch :)
Thanks that is very useful. I was hoping to use the interior light feed as a power for the camera as that must have a switchable live feed. The only problem with that that I could think of is that it could be accidentally left on when the van is parked up as the light interior lights always have power to them.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Thread revival!! This thread seems to be the last thread on reversing camera

U can in a van, what have you decided and installed in the end?

We just got a little horse trailer, so we are in the market for reverse camera for tow hitching. We don’t really need the rear view for a simple reversing, as we’re used to that. Just an additional visual aid for hitching.

What we are considering is:

• MUST be able to display the tow ball and enough view for hitching
  • Minimally invasive installation (i.e. less holes to drill)
  • Switch on monitor rear view mirror
  • If that's not possible, then a little monitor that can be attached to the sun visor or on the centre console
Something like this view would be useful (but bit more view area for better approach in hitching):

What have fellow T4 owners have installed (and where exactly at the rear of the van) with hitching in mind?

Many thanks as always and happy motoring!

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Funnily enough I still have not got a camera installed as there was no clear answer from others that met my needs. However, I have just purchased this camera (it arrived today)!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Night-Vision-Rear-View-Reversing-Backup-HD-IR-CCD-Camera-170-Waterproof-UK/142285392981?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It looks like a very neat bit of kit and very solid so I am hopeful. I think I will need to fabricate a mounting bracket as I want to mount it above the tailgate window to get a full view of the rear of the van. I still need to purchase a rear view mirror type screen to go with the camera.

Have you had any luck finding something to meet your requirements?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Funnily enough I still have not got a camera installed as there was no clear answer from others that met my needs. However, I have just purchased this camera (it arrived today)!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Night-Vision-Rear-View-Reversing-Backup-HD-IR-CCD-Camera-170-Waterproof-UK/142285392981?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It looks like a very neat bit of kit and very solid so I am hopeful. I think I will need to fabricate a mounting bracket as I want to mount it above the tailgate window to get a full view of the rear of the van. I still need to purchase a rear view mirror type screen to go with the camera.

Have you had any luck finding something to meet your requirements?
Thanks for sharing that camera, looks neat. We haven't progressed at all with this. In our case the camera will have to be installed on the registration plate trim or on the rear bumper. I'm not sure either is actually ideal for hitching. Cameras that come with "green, yellow, red lines" need to be placed optimally to make the most of the marker otherwise it seems quite distracting.

We're managing with verbal communicatio to hitch at the moment and we're improving!

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,038 Posts
I've got the wireless Garmin one to suit my GPS....to fit when I find the allusive "Round-to-it".
Wife bought it for my birthday....last November!
Slightly off centre, but should work OK.

Going to be in the hole for the rear wiper....haven't used the wiper more than twice in 10 years as the window is blacked out anyway!
Wiper arm is off, and it did cause me some worry a couple of years ago....I kept hearing a relay click and a "whirr".
Finally noticed the button for the rear wiper was pushed in! :*

·
8,083 Posts
I've got the wireless Garmin one to suit my GPS....to fit when I find the allusive "Round-to-it".
Wife bought it for my birthday....last November!
Slightly off centre, but should work OK.

Going to be in the hole for the rear wiper....haven't used the wiper more than twice in 10 years as the window is blacked out anyway!
Wiper arm is off, and it did cause me some worry a couple of years ago....I kept hearing a relay click and a "whirr".
Finally noticed the button for the rear wiper was pushed in! :*
That is the reversing camera I use - it is excellent quality I find T:

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We're managing with verbal communicatio to hitch at the moment and we're improving!
That is what we have always done but when you are on your own and reverse/parallel parking it is a pig - especially with a LWB!

The Garmin camera mentioned above looks good but is too expensive for me and I rarely use a sat nav so no good to me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts