VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, any of you gpt any tips for fitting one of these, got a kenwood head unit with set up for one, and was going to put camera in black moulding above number plate/the one with the handle in, but took the left panel of the door and it looks a bit full up in there so a bit stumped now, any suggestions thx, paulyd2k

·
Registered
30 Posts
HI, have just had alpine w404 fitted and having a camera fitted tomorrow.
I was looking at the handle and was hoping to get it 'in there' but will see when the technician comes over. Didn't want to put it in the bumper as there will be nothing to judge distances against.
Will let you know the outcome.

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
Remove the rear wiper and mount the camera in the hole.

A screen that replaces the rearview mirror that is permenantly on removes the need to have a clean rear window anyway T:

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
Drill a hole in the centre below the panel where the window would be.
The door will be the same as the ones with wipers, so there is loads of room behind the metalwork for the camera. (bullet type)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
ive seen it done through the badge so you dont realy notice it. smart idea.
going to convert my barn door to solid tailgate and got my r/camera to fit.
Jonesy

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
mines up under the rear number plate light plinth, and points down towards the towbar.

I experemented a lot with different mounting locations and angles before i decided onthis, having it pointing straight back tells you nothing. well, tells you what's behind you, but not how far away from it you are.....which is what you really want to know.

I used a hole saw to cut the bodywork and the plinth. it's just to the left of the far right screw.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Another one for the number plate light plinth. Again, angled so you see the bumber at the edge of the screen.

Used a touareg reversing camera - standard VAG part. For what I remember, I only had to cut a whole in the plinth, not the bodywork. Wires go up to the top bendy rubber grommet on my caravelle.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeh , thats where i wanted it, but when i took the panels of it looked scary, so i was stumped then, looks a lot of messing about, thinking of getting cameras on each effing arch the way i`m, kerbing my alloys lately, right gutted lately, thx paulyd2k

·
Registered
30 Posts
yeh , thats where i wanted it, but when i took the panels of it looked scary, so i was stumped then, looks a lot of messing about, thinking of getting cameras on each effing arch the way i`m, kerbing my alloys lately, right gutted lately, thx paulyd2k
Well just had mine done today and admittedly was a bit of trial and error to get the angle right but hardly noticeable and just about get the rear view along with bumper so great for judging distances.
Eventually mounted camera in between number plate lights and no cutting into bodypanels.

Will send pictures when it stops raining, or when I get fed up with looking at the rear view image, whichever is first g:eek:

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
I put my T4 and T5 ones straight through the middle of the VW badge on the back door. It looks the mutts nuts and is central enough to give a good image on the screen

:D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Another one for the number plate light plinth. Again, angled so you see the bumber at the edge of the screen.

Used a touareg reversing camera - standard VAG part. For what I remember, I only had to cut a whole in the plinth, not the bodywork. Wires go up to the top bendy rubber grommet on my caravelle.
Any chance of a pic and partnumber?

I have a camera (china quality) so I was thinking of putting it inside on the upper part of the rear window.... but I have tinted windows so a Touareg camera migt do the trick.
My plan was to use it along with my JVC double din DVD reciever.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Touareg rear parking camera part number:

7L6 980 551

I've yet to set up the photo account. Might try this weekend...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also have Kenwood unit have mounted my camera in spoiler so get good view only small problem is high level brake light at night blinds the camera am going to try some window tinting film over it (sometime!)

·
Registered
53 Posts
any chance of the pictures of it int he spoiler and the picture from it? i fancied putting it in a spoiler. seemed the best view :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Saw in the brochure that the new facelifted Caravelle had rear view camera as an option!
That means it should be available as a spare part.
Checked with the local dealer but they needed a part number. Could anyone here find a part number for the new T5.1 rear view camera for me? And maybe a pic on where/how it it is mounted.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts