VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just taken delivery of my 2/3 Rib seat and was wondering do the six holes in the frame to secure the seat correspond to anywhere in particular under the van so you know it is positioned correctly or is it just evenly space it between the furniture and the side of the van and as far back as possible then drill through and bolt using some thick plate for washers?

·
Cornwall Massive
2,838 Posts
Well, seeing as you've spent all that money on a crash tested bed, I think you should probably find out the proper way and place to fit it...! :eek: I:

Try kiravans - they fit RIB beds and Richard is a nice helpful chap :ILU:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i collected it from rob last night but forgot to ask doh just thought someone may know a method. Would be nice to have some instructions in the box though but I guess it may be the french just trying to put one over us.

·
Cornwall Massive
2,838 Posts
Yes, Rob.. not Richard... I: I knew it began with an 'R'... :D

Interestingly, the RIB bed's 'crash testing' was apparently done using a fabricated steel frame fixed inside the van that the bed was then bolted to, so I guess how you fit it is fairly subjective, as you won't be doing that anyway...? :*

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you look at the drivers and passengers seat fixings I think I would find it hard not to be able to secure the rib as securly if not better.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I fitted my own RIB and it is just as you described. Tight up against the nearside wheelarch and make sure you push it back into the rear doors so it just touches at the back and shows the very slightest of cushion deformity at the cut out on the back n/side corner.

Don't know if you are fixing it to a ply or load floor? But I fitted mine over the rubber load floor, then when it was tightened up, it pulled the rubber floor down tight. I was originally going to keep the load floor, but in the end cut it all out and built a ply floor around the RIB. I realise that was about face and gave me more work, but one of the benefits is that the RIB is slightly lower as a result. I didn't know until I had bought the RIB, that the seat height is a little higher than expected, so unless you are a fairly tall person, when you sit back in it, your feet can dangle off the floor. If you do choose to fit the seat direct to the van floor and not over ply, then you will need to do some minor panel beating to the top of the wheelarch to create a dip that will accomodate the nuts of the RIB. Sounds worse than it is. You won't have to do that if you fit the RIB onto a ply floor as it will clear the wheelarch.

Enjoy! I did.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very thought provoking topic. I am looking to but a t4 or t5, to convert into a camper or one that has already been converted. One big element is rear passenger seating - bit of a minefield out there by the looks of things. I have been looking through numerous posts on here and the net, and have arrived at the following conclusions (in my very humble and “complete campervan novice” opinion):

1) RIB or Variotech are the only seats to use if you want rear passengers to have max safety. That said, a lot depends on how the seat frame is secured to the floor...
2) Great care is required in considering who to use to fit the seats...
3) Some, if not all insurance companies will request a certificate of fitment/installation by a reputable company (what determines reputable I do not know yet). If seats are fitted DIY, or by uncertified company, then insurance maybe invalid, or insurers refuse to insure
4) t5's require an additional steel frame fitted to the floor, to which the seat frame is attached to. t4's don't need this.
5) rock n roll beds with seat belts fitted are potentially dangerous (depending on how frame is fitted to floor, and how belts are fitted to frame) and not recommended
6) if you are not prepared to spend circa £2,500, then don’t consider carrying passengers in the back, just have a cheaper rnr for static seating and sleeping.

Feel free to correct me on any of the above, as I am just starting out in this world, and have only just started to scratch the surface, so open to advice

·
Three bridge
61 Posts
Hi in my opinion you should really have a bracket under the van at least 4 mm thick steel bent round something a little more solid than the thin van floor at the rear of the bed and at the front same thickness but only 150mm squares

Lyall

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have a rib seat and under the van there are two thick steel plates that are used to secure the seat.

Freebird partially fitted mine and I did the rest at my friends garage (mine is 4wd and they had no pit/ramps to drop the rear diff)

I have about 16 12mm bolts holding the frame to the floor, nuts are welded to the metal plates underneath to enable me to remove the seat from inside the van if need be.

Did kiravans give you the plates? I'm not sure if rib supplied mine or if freebird added them to the package. I certainly wouldn't fit it without the plates anyway.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know this is a couple of months on, how difficult was it dropping the diff? I'm just about to fit a RIB to my 4motion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts