VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Got my swivels fitted yesterday, pretty easy to fit, missing 2 bolts but i have some spares somewhere that are the same so wont matter,

A few observations:

The standard VW leisure battery and seat swivels dont work together, so i need to look at that.

The drivers seat is a drama to swivel, i have to pump the seat up, put it gear, release the handbrake, adjust the seat back and slide the seat backwards and forwards a few times to get it round.

Im not liking the height increase from the inch spacer to avoid the handbrake so i might either ditch the swivel on the driver seat and relocate the battery to that side which would mean i had somewhere to make the camper unit sit up behind the seat

Or modify the handbrake so can avoid the spacer and try that.

Nice kit tho, the wobble is a bit annoying, but some door wedges will solve that

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I put a 175mm high batt to replace vw batt under pass seat and ground the base bracket down and the rib swivel fits without issue but the ceaseless rattling whilst driving forced me to remove it after all the faffing around.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The battery was rattling? What did you remove?

I must admit the play in the seats is alot more than i was expecting.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
The battery is secure as it uses the original fixing it's the rib swivel that makes the seat rattle

·
Registered
2,246 Posts

Ground out seat base

This is what you have to get rid of

And bend front lip up

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im not sold on the swivels yet,the wobble and height addition isnt selling them to me.

Does anyone know what is required with moving the handbrake down and how far it will go down??

If i can get it down a bit then ill remove the spacer and maybe modify the base to make it sorter...

Im suprised they dont have an outer wheel like a microwave glass plate to stop as much wobble.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right i wasn't happy with the height of my seat after fitting the base with the handbrake adapter plates (16mm thick)

Learn by doing and all that jazz. I took the seat off, seat base out.

Drilled the spots out of the handbrake mount removed with a lever bar, and then welded it back on 26mm lower.

Cut 26mm off the handbrake plastic trim bottom.

Then put it all back together minus the adapter plates.

Much happier as I'm back down near the floor again.

I also removed the plate for the leisure battery from under the passenger seat but didn't have the battery to try it for size.

Last job is to notch the seat plastic just above the red swivel handle as it bends a little when the seat is lowered, then catches on the front bolts.

While it was all apart I counter sunk all the holes on the swivels just to smarten them up a bit.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Just a quick point - the passenger swivel is designed to have the orange lever in the middle of your van buy the handbrake, I note yours is the other way around in these pictures - might explain why you had issues with the bolts supplied.

Rob
Kiravans

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That would explain why the opposite end were countersunk lol doh.

So the red handle should be at the backside of the passenger seat. Any benefit having it there as its working fine where it is now I think.

Anybody require some spacers? I don't need them anymore, do you want them back Rob?

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Truthfully I think the lack of bolts was my own doing, I tend to work in chaos! So I wouldn't be suprised if they went MIA when I started taking things apart!!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Anybody require some spacers? I don't need them anymore, do you want them back Rob?
What size (height wise) are the spacers as I'm looking for some please (that's if Rob doesn't want them back) ?

Cheers Jason

·
Registered
162 Posts
has anyone put a load of greese in the "bearing", i figure the rettling must come from there.

think i may give that a go...

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
No, tried that, the rattling is because the seat is heavy and pivots on that turntable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts