VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to rip out the interior in the back and start a fresh, im just wondering does anyone know the best way to get a bend like the one below!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T5-T4-CONTEMPORARY-CAMPERVAN-UNIT-CAMPER-UNIT-INTERIOR-UNIT-TRANSPORTER-/320958072281?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item4aba9785d9

I would love to have interior built like this, but as you can see its over £1000!!! Any pointers in what I could cover the MDF in also?

Taken a week off work to build it so fingers crossed it comes together!!! Do you think this would be a bugger to build for someone with very basic carpentary skills!!??

Thanks

·
jabby fingered, worn nubbed, ginger ninja
12,080 Posts
You could use several layers of very thin ply, wet the board , bend it over a former and clamp it in place, then build up the layers glueing and clamping as you goT:

If you use a good quality birch ply there will be no need for covering it a good sand and some good wax any itll look mint T:

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
You can use "bendyply" or "flexiply" . Usually in 8x4 ( or , honestly, 4x8 if you want to bend along the grain) and normally 5mm or 8mm thick.
Form a jig for the shape you want, bend one piece to the shape needed, then glue the next one to it, once dry the board will retain the shape you want. Mix thicknesses of boards to achieve the overall thickness you need.
In principle very easy, in reality, actually quite easy to "---k up". If you are certain that you can create and hold the shape you need as you work give it a go.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Its all about good quality materials and a router. You can route channels in the back to give bend.

OR

Use the old Skateboard making technique a try.

By some good quality thin (3-4mm) maple ply. Get the strongest wood glue you can (Bostick Blue Bottle) make a form for the curve. Glue 2-3 layers of the play an leave a moment for it to start to go off. Then layer the ply and bend over your mould using clamps and weights to ensre the bend and that all layers of ply are touching. Leave for 24hrs to go off and Voila!

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Use the old Skateboard making technique a try.

By some good quality thin (3-4mm) maple ply. Get the strongest wood glue you can (Bostick Blue Bottle) make a form for the curve. Glue 2-3 layers of the play an leave a moment for it to start to go off. Then layer the ply and bend over your mould using clamps and weights to ensre the bend and that all layers of ply are touching. Leave for 24hrs to go off and Voila!
Maybe make the worktop concave as well so everything you put on it rolls into the middle when driving!
Used to love making decks!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
when i needed to bend the ply for the roof ply on the splittie ( the edges of the roof bend in a fairly tight curve ) i just cut loads of cuts in the rear of the ply, i used 6mm ply, the cuts were 2mm ( and on the tight curve 3 mm ), i wet the ply ( really soaked the rear , but nnot too much as i didnt want it to soak through )

it worked well

·
Registered
275 Posts
With MDF you can cut line,s on the back to get your bend.
Have a go, its the only way you learn.........
B&Q sell this allready so you can shape it how you like, its in the sheet section and reasonably priced, alternatively you could use a router and do it yourself.

·
Registered
275 Posts
On another note if you are wanting to do a good job you need to steam bend the ply, ive built a few in the past and they are easy enough to do, you could then just use a vacuum bag (not out of your hoover) lol or if you cant make/buy one then use clamps around a former.... its easy if you have the right tools, i personally would stick with high grade plywood when creating shapes like this, If you get the MDF wet or it brings in moisture it will break very easily..

·
Registered
313 Posts
you could make a mould and layer several veneers sheets together with out steam or vac i think, but its a longer process still have to clamp them down ect

1 - 20 of 23 Posts