VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my girlfriends parents have just bought a 97 t4 800 special with a leisuredrive interior and a reimo roof. they got it cheap because the canvas across the rear near the original roof is ripped.

so can you buy the grey canvas to repair it and has anybody any experience in doing the repair who can give me tips ??

any help appreciated

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was wondering if i sourced a piece of canvas the same size as the rear piece and removed the sealant from the roof at the bottom.

from the inside loosen the strip that holds the canvas down

glue on the new piece and tuck it underneath the strip ( do i need a special glue ?? )

fasten the strip down and reseal it would that work

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I've repaired mine - exactly the same place as you described.

I couldn't find the right colour cheaply so I used a lighter grey section across the back. I unpicked the staples and unstitced the ends to remove the whole section.

All you need is a missus with a sowing machine to copy the piece removed. (I have one of these)T:

Hand stitch the new piece back in new staples etc... etc... sprayed on loads of waterprofer - Job done - Its a different coloured rear piece - who cares!

Its waterproof and it cost me about a tenner to repair.

I got some pics of it somewhere - I will look.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've repaired mine - exactly the same place as you described.

I couldn't find the right colour cheaply so I used a lighter grey section across the back. I unpicked the staples and unstitced the ends to remove the whole section.

All you need is a missus with a sowing machine to copy the piece removed. (I have one of these)T:

Hand stitch the new piece back in new staples etc... etc... sprayed on loads of waterprofer - Job done - Its a different coloured rear piece - who cares!

Its waterproof and it cost me about a tenner to repair.

I got some pics of it somewhere - I will look.

cheers that would be great

1 - 7 of 7 Posts