VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Would you want an air-ride system on your van????

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 638 Posts

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys and girls.
Just a mini update for you all but, Keith (T4chippy) and I have been chatting rubbish in the shadows and have potentially come into contact with someone about an air-ride system for the T4.:eek: It's early days and nothing can be promised. I will keep you all abreast of the latest info and detail when and where it happens.I:

If it works there could be a decent discount for forum members as well... again, not final as this is mega early days. H:

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Re: Ripples in the water............

Will it help for those that tow gaz?

That may drag a few more in. Myself included perhaps

·
Administrator
30,977 Posts

Will it help for those that tow gaz?

That may drag a few more in. Myself included perhaps
Definitely T:

Would sort the bouncy front end out too I:

This isn't the company were in negotiations with but it's a simalar system T:

And yes, were trying for a T5 system aswell I:

·
Registered
799 Posts

Surely it`ll be purely price dependent ? :*
If you`re talking £50 then you`ll get through a couple of thousand, if you`re talking a couple of thousand you won`t get through 50.
Any ball-park figure, below 4 figures ?

·
Registered
679 Posts

imoa it cant be done without removing the torsion bar assembly and fitting a mcpherson strut conversion to the front, but i will happily be proved wrong

·
Registered
331 Posts

imoa it cant be done without removing the torsion bar assembly and fitting a mcpherson strut conversion to the front, but i will happily be proved wrong
I was just wondering how the front would work. Removing the torsion bar would cost £££££

·
Registered
679 Posts

removing the torsion bar would cost sod all mate its the chassis/ inner wing/ strut top mods which would cost the $

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Www.air-lift.co.uk

These are re guys me and keith are chattig to. They've said the torsion bar issue is very simple by all accounts so thats not such issue. Price wise, not a clue yet. It will all depend on what set up you have put on and what controls you'd have. Have a gander at the site to get ideas.

·
Registered
325 Posts

Nice one fellas! :ILU:

Cheers for the PM on this Keith. T:

This sounds like a top idea for those who want a head-turner during the week and an off-road camper during the weekend.

I'm just hoping it would be a legal system here now. I bet they'll love me popping into the ITV (MoT) centre AGAIN asking all these questions!!

Hope it's gonna be a reasonable price, I've got a fair drive to do if I want one. :D

Jeff

·
Registered
1,333 Posts

removing the torsion bar would cost sod all mate its the chassis/ inner wing/ strut top mods which would cost the $
Yep! Agree 100%. I don't imagine you'll be able to get down really low either, without a lot of other costly mods. There's not a lot of room under the front of a T4 :confused:

·
Registered
354 Posts

to take away the "bounce" on the rear i fitted a neoprene aftermarket airbag kit that fits inside the coils of the springs,self inflating up to 7 psi and really stops the rocking sensation of lowered vans,especially vans carrying the weight of a full conversion,available on ebay around £100 for the full kit. Again can be seen at busfreeze and fitting advice to anyone who needs it

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

Yep! Agree 100%. I don't imagine you'll be able to get down really low either, without a lot of other costly mods. There's not a lot of room under the front of a T4 :confused:
I can vouch for no room under there, i've had to take a hammer and blowtorch to my tubs to clear, this could be possible if a chassis notch is done properly to gain the clearance and it's not driven at fully deflated just sat on the sump when parked. Have they said they'll remove the torsion or have an over-bag on the bar??? or are they planning on fitting a bag in between the damper top plate (bumpstop) and hub arm??
Gaz.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Well not too sure how we'll go about it but as soon as I know I'll let you all know. I'm sure he's got a few ideas.

·
Administrator
30,977 Posts

Any other advise from the low crew that might help? As Gaz said, this chap has plenty of experiance in fitting his kits to vehicles with torsion bar set up's but discussion is good and we maybe able to get this at a half decent price if we group buy T:

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you want practicality stay stock. If you want to lower it you can near enough do it for free, why splash out on air? I'm not saying dont do it, just dont start saying 'look how low my van is', say 'look how low I'm pretending my van is'.

·
Registered
294 Posts

Ahh - first time I've checked out the video clip. Reminds me of lots of old Citroens I used to own! (still got one actually). The lowering function has another positive effect that no one has mentioned yet - with the front fully lowered, there's no way anyone can get a wheel clamp on the wheel!

//NiSk

·
Administrator
30,977 Posts
If you want practicality stay stock. If you want to lower it you can near enough do it for free, why splash out on air? I'm not saying dont do it, just dont start saying 'look how low my van is', say 'look how low I'm pretending my van is'.
Excellent, how do I near enough do it for free, be very interested to hear T:

What I'm actually after is something I can comfortably ride on around town, higher to areas with speed bumps or country roads and towing and lower for shows. Don't see how I'm pretending to be low when it actually is :confused: perhaps I'll let my tyres down at shows aswell then ;)

1 - 20 of 638 Posts