VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Would you want an air-ride system on your van????

• Total voters
201 - 220 of 638 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
is the pre-load force (torsion) not reduced then when you loosen the nut on the bar??? I thought that's what stuffs the ride I:
No mate, the preload reduces the more of the weight of the van you put on the bumpstops, keep winding down and you put more and more weight on the chassis reducing the tension on the torsion hence taking off preload:D

you lost me gaz...Rasp:

Ha ha, i lost meslf muckerLOL:
Gaz.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi Ricky, sorry just cleared my PM box! The rear should be pretty straight forward in comparison to the front, we've got a few designs now so will update once the prototypes are finished.
ok mate many thanks . had my wheels fitted today after being on order for 7 weeks so cant wate to get it dropped now lol

·
Administrator
30,977 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
pre load on the torsion wil always be the same as long as you have clearance on the bump stops, the poop ride comes from not having enough travell to enable the torsion bar to work and get tighter, which means you bottom out before you have any benefit from having suspension, hope this makes sense:D

·
Administrator
30,977 Posts
pre load on the torsion wil always be the same as long as you have clearance on the bump stops, the poop ride comes from not having enough travell to enable the torsion bar to work and get tighter, which means you bottom out before you have any benefit from having suspension, hope this makes sense:D

Yep, That makes sense John T:, Had a PM'ing session last night with Gaz, all makes sense now and I have now come up with a few idea's :cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Bit of a mini update for you all...

It's taken a while but after many different designs, discussions and dare I say it sleepless nights (for Keith at least!), I can confirm that work is well underway T:

The rear is coming along nicely, and we're just waiting on a few extra parts which should be here next week. From the initial tests we're hoping to get the arches just above the wheel at the rear with no modifications. This is as far as it's possible to go with the 9J wheels:

So the majority of testing from here on in will be with the spare steely - not a great look I know, but at least this tucks under the arches!

There's another 25mm to go from here until the tyre starts to rub on the inner arch, so it should sit really nicely eventually (probably wouldn't want to drive it far that low though!). In case anyone's wondering, the only real modification required to get the rear down further will be to cut out the upper bump-stop mount, which will be redundant once the bags are in place anyway. We don't really like unnecessary chopping so may bring out a standard drop option.

We have also recently been in discussion with GAZ Suspension, and will be offering lowered and adjustable shocks as an optional upgrade to the system, or on their own for that matter.

Oh and don't worry, the front has not been neglected...

·
Administrator
30,977 Posts
That looks awesome. Hopefully one day I'll be able to afford an air-ride setup for my bus. :ILU:
There's no way I'm gonna be able to afford it all in one go either :(

BUT, what I'm gonna do it buy the rear first and have it adjustable manually, then buy the front set up when I've saved a bit more (manual again) then save up for the compressors and management system T:

Kinda spreading the cost so to speak ;)

201 - 220 of 638 Posts