VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Would you want an air-ride system on your van????

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 638 Posts

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
If you want practicality stay stock. If you want to lower it you can near enough do it for free, why splash out on air? I'm not saying dont do it, just dont start saying 'look how low my van is', say 'look how low I'm pretending my van is'.
i do agree with you mate...air is for cheats really..

but would love to know how you can get stock low to compete with air ride lowness..T:..cuz i aint seen a t4 yet..

·
Administrator
30,977 Posts
i do agree with you mate...air is for cheats really..

but would love to know how you can get stock low to compete with air ride lowness..T:..cuz i aint seen a t4 yet..
Si, you know me and I don't do arguments T: BUT I:

The air doesn't actually lower you more than the set up you have. It doesn't lower you, it will only higher you from the lowest setting you have T:

If you've got 60 eibachs on it can't take you lower than that can it.

So if browner puts this on his, it will take him from uberlow :cool: to the highest the bag will take it. If someone like me buys it it will only take me from -60 Jamex (actually more like 100 I:) to how ever high can go.

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
Si, you know me and I don't do arguments T: BUT I:

The air doesn't actually lower you more than the set up you have. It doesn't lower you, it will only higher you from the lowest setting you have T:

If you've got 60 eibachs on it can't take you lower than that can it.

So if browner puts this on his, it will take him from uberlow :cool: to the highest the bag will take it. If someone like me buys it it will only take me from -60 Jamex (actually more like 100 I:) to how ever high can go.
calm down...I:..:D

see where your coming from...just dont see the point..:confused:..if i am spending that kind of cash i would rather spend it on hydraulics and get the thing slammed in the process...Rasp:

·
Administrator
30,977 Posts
calm down...I:..:D

see where your coming from...just dont see the point..:confused:..if i am spending that kind of cash i would rather spend it on hydraulics and get the thing slammed in the process...Rasp:
LOL: I'm not arguing LOL: it's when I dont use smilies I am T: A: :ILU:Rasp:

You need a lot of battery power for hydraulics and we havnt got a price yet Rasp:

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Agreed. Any Hydraulics is much the same as Air really. You'll still have to change things around (maybe) and if it works for air, IE- we find a way to slam it and make it work without removing the whole front end then it could open up options for hydraulics.

If you want practicality stay stock. If you want to lower it you can near enough do it for free, why splash out on air? I'm not saying dont do it, just dont start saying 'look how low my van is', say 'look how low I'm pretending my van is'.
Today 13:34/QUOTE]

Mate, you can never lower anything for free nor near enough!!! It's not about the so called look and "pretending". You need to actually lower it to give it the lowest point anyway on the T4. It's all about practicality for me. I'm fully converted in the back (minus sinkI:) and I want to be able to lower it for shows/decent roads/motorways and then raise it up when I drive on gash roads and in town over speed bumps.

I'm sorry for T4chippy and myself having a level of innovation for our beloved T4's. Hey if it works and your driving around a bumpy/muddy field at a show, get stuck and have to crawl around everywhere, - Keith and I will demonstrate to you how wonderful this pointless idea/system really is as we casually cruise pass. I:Rasp:LOL::D

Hey, it may not even be possible but where's the harm in actually trying to find out if it will......:cool:;)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Now now ladies........I:
Lets take it all down a notch ( you see what i did there...notch...slamming.....i'm blooming hilarious):D
If the clearance can be created front and rear like mine then when the bags are down you'll be sat on the sump coz i can go lower but steering is then out the question (overated anyway) but if your parked it dont matter....win win.
Personally i'm a static man still to be converted to air but if the options there why not take it.
Gaz.

·
Administrator
30,977 Posts
Now now ladies........I:
Lets take it all down a notch ( you see what i did there...notch...slamming.....i'm blooming hilarious):D
If the clearance can be created front and rear like mine then when the bags are down you'll be sat on the sump coz i can go lower but steering is then out the question (overated anyway) but if your parked it dont matter....win win.
Personally i'm a static man still to be converted to air but if the options there why not take it.
Gaz.
Your so funny :D

I'm not sure I'd want to go any lower than I am at the mo mate, but would really appreciated being a little higher for the speeed bumps at the school...........they're huge :eek:

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Agreed browner. It's not being bitchy,it's just explaining it. If and when it gets put on the van I think I'll only have the snakes nuts height set for when I'm static like you say. It'll go up to a more practical setting for when I'm mobile (which won't be that much higher....I:). The benefit will be when your able to increase the height again for impractical driving like roads and speed-bumps.T:

·
Registered
34 Posts
The ride is better than lowered bars! The bags are placed between chassis and lower arm but had big problems with clearance between air bags and brake caliper

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Awesome, cheers mate. If you can get a bit of video on up on here as well that would be beyond as well. Did you removed any of the standard fitments from the van dude?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ill try to do a vid if I can figger how to lol!
We took out the front torsion bars, moved shock mount, changed front calipers, you need 4 compressors costing £375 each, modified air tank! I can't tell you much work it was to sort out

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Ok well seeing the picture will help no end mate. Looking forward to seeing it dude.T:

21 - 40 of 638 Posts