VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Would you want an air-ride system on your van????

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 638 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Excellent, how do I near enough do it for free, be very interested to hear T:

What I'm actually after is something I can comfortably ride on around town, higher to areas with speed bumps or country roads and towing and lower for shows. Don't see how I'm pretending to be low when it actually is :confused: perhaps I'll let my tyres down at shows aswell then ;)
Wind it down at the front, go down a breakers get some vauxhall pigtail springs for the rear. If that costs more than 30 quid i'll be surprised! Its one bolt on each corner, you don't need spring compressors and dont even have to take wheels off (Although i'd recommend it at the back). So I'd say even the least mechanically minded could do it. And it isnt low if it doesnt stay low mate, sorry bt thats just how it is! I understand why people want the drivability, looks and comfort (Im sure most people do!) however, the price of this is that you're kinda pretending! Dont want to offend or start an argument, just my opinion.

·
Administrator
30,977 Posts
Wind it down at the front, go down a breakers get some vauxhall pigtail springs for the rear. If that costs more than 30 quid i'll be surprised! Its one bolt on each corner, you don't need spring compressors and dont even have to take wheels off (Although i'd recommend it at the back). So I'd say even the least mechanically minded could do it. And it isnt low if it doesnt stay low mate, sorry bt thats just how it is! I understand why people want the drivability, looks and comfort (Im sure most people do!) however, the price of this is that you're kinda pretending! Dont want to offend or start an argument, just my opinion.
that set up would cut my tyres in half with 9J ET 15 rears, think we'll just agree to disagree and leave it there T:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Interesting thread,

I've been looking at doing this for years but have never really come up with anybody or anyone who could make this work to my satisfaction and by that I mean being able to sit my van on the ground when static ,however if your guys could make it work then I'd certainly be up for it T:

In essence the problem as I see it is the front end, there just isn't enough room to get a set up that works at a very low ride height due to lack of space and any kit will need to involve some fairly major chassis mods and some type of coil over conversion,which incidentally is why the T5 set up works and is a fairly easy install, although having driven a T5 with a similar set up I can tell you that unless you get the pressures set correctly the ride quality is pretty awful and subsequently it's a bit of a myth that air always=good ride quality!

I also think that allowing this thread to describe somebody who has already fitted an air system to a T4 as a cowboy doesn't really help the situation. Especially as the person in question has probably fitted more air and hydraulic systems into cars than anybody else in the country and whose work has received great accolades and has been featured in numerous magazines. (name and shame policy anybody?)

Anyway, as I say interesting thread and one I shall be watching with great interest A:

·
Administrator
30,977 Posts
I also think that allowing this thread to describe somebody who has already fitted an air system to a T4 as a cowboy doesn't really help the situation. Especially as the person in question has probably fitted more air and hydraulic systems into cars than anybody else in the country and whose work has received great accolades and has been featured in numerous magazines. (name and shame policy anybody?)

Anyway, as I say interesting thread and one I shall be watching with great interest A:
Duly noted and edited as I didn't spot the company name T:

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
OK mate well I know and understand where your coming from. The only reason I'd be raising it up when driving around is due to the fact I'm running some decent poke on the Borbets. If I flared the arches then yes, I'd run it at the lowest point nearly all of the time (which wouldn't work very well on the country roads I drive and live around. I'll end up flaring the arches if/once the conversion is achieved.
The thing I find interesting here is the fact that you don't like the price option, which is more than understandable but, you seem to be airing your point and slating it a bit too much. If it's not for you then cool, no worries. Just please, don't bring a downer on my little parade. If it fails then, I'll happily let you say "I told you so" and I'll even buy you a beer.T:A::D

·
Registered
242 Posts
whilst lying in bed last night i had what i though was a brain wave..... the rear section of the T4 is the easy bit to fit air to as it "just" (in my eyes) involves changing the spring for an air bag. For the front (in sleepy logic) i can see it being possible to place a modified bagover bag (with hole through the middle) onto a modified front tortion bar adjuster (one without thread all the way up) so that the bag could act on the adjuster. it wouldent allow you to fully sit on the floor without a longer bar and chassis notching but would allow you to go low.

·
Registered
175 Posts
that set up would cut my tyres in half with 9J ET 15 rears, think we'll just agree to disagree and leave it there T:
Fair shout mate, each to their own, as said this is just my opinion and for me it does ruin vehicles. However I guess people in situations different to mine and with less patience for route changing due to bumps and back problems would much rather take the air option! Nowt wrong with a healthy debate anyways, with any luck this will get people thinking more about getting their van in the weeds...

·
Administrator
30,977 Posts
Fair shout mate, each to their own, as said this is just my opinion and for me it does ruin vehicles. However I guess people in situations different to mine and with less patience for route changing due to bumps and back problems would much rather take the air option! Nowt wrong with a healthy debate anyways, with any luck this will get people thinking more about getting their van in the weeds...
Absolutely agree about discussion, that's what a forum is for T:

I really would take a different route to take my disabled girl to school but I have no choice but to go down the route with 10, yes 10 speed bumps :eek: but I want a low ride, seems like a good compromise to me :D

I wasn't having a go mate but if someone like Browner (above in the discussion, who has spent a lot of time and money to get one of the lowest T4's on the forum) wanted a little comfort for driving round without leaving his front bumper, sump and rear bumper at the first rizzla's in the road :D, yet still get the recognition at shows for his outstanding work then I think that's a good thing.

Not sure it ruins vehicles as air bags have been around for years, limo's, motorhomes, lorries etc

Glad we found a middle ground though :ILU:

·
Registered
175 Posts
OK mate well I know and understand where your coming from. The only reason I'd be raising it up when driving around is due to the fact I'm running some decent poke on the Borbets. If I flared the arches then yes, I'd run it at the lowest point nearly all of the time (which wouldn't work very well on the country roads I drive and live around. I'll end up flaring the arches if/once the conversion is achieved.
The thing I find interesting here is the fact that you don't like the price option, which is more than understandable but, you seem to be airing your point and slating it a bit too much. If it's not for you then cool, no worries. Just please, don't bring a downer on my little parade. If it fails then, I'll happily let you say "I told you so" and I'll even buy you a beer.T:A::D
Fairs mate, you asked for opinions and put a poll up, just sharing a different opinion thats all. I dont expect everyone to agree and I dont expect everyone to follow me, if we all had identically modified vans we'd look like a right bunch of spanners!!! Diversity is what the modified car/van scene is all about I guess, you just happened to touch on a subject which has really rattled my cage for years! One final point though... I'm 99% sure that my car is waaaayyyyyyy lower than any van on here and that has been a daily driver at that height for years now, I live out in the sticks, have to deal with speed-bumps and country roads etc, it was out everyday when it snowed, been down to cornwall in it several times and the tyres are poked out of the arches just nicely... static drop. So it is possible. HOWEVER... I have been through several sumps in my time, so I'd say the price of the sumps, oil and my time replacing them makes it swings-and-roundabouts as to the cost of air! Static is just the die-hard option I guess...

I am quite interested to see how the air set-up works though as it may raise some useful ideas on going lower static...

P.s. mine's a cider mate H: T:

·
Registered
175 Posts
I really would take a different route to take my disabled girl to school but I have no choice but to go down the route with 10, yes 10 speed bumps :eek: but I want a low ride, seems like a good compromise to me :D
Cant argue with that mate, seems a perfectly reasonable choice if thats your situation...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Alex_m has a fair point with his suggestion of replacing the torsion bar adjuster with an air bag, as said you would only get as low as the bump stops would allow but that would be personal choice of notching or not. Look forward to hearing the final outcome/ design/ price of full air conversion:cool:

·
Administrator
30,977 Posts
Cant argue with that mate, seems a perfectly reasonable choice if thats your situation...
Sorry, I've jacked this thread. I'll pipe down now!
As said bud, it's good to talk and discuss T:

Alex_m has a fair point with his suggestion of replacing the torsion bar adjuster with an air bag, as said you would only get as low as the bump stops would allow but that would be personal choice of notching or not. Look forward to hearing the final outcome/ design/ price of full air conversion:cool:
Yep, it's a good suggestion and one I'll suggest to Jonathan, if he hasn't already thought of it :D

Keep the discussion and idea's coming peeps T:

41 - 60 of 638 Posts