VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Would you want an air-ride system on your van????

• Total voters
621 - 638 of 638 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
thanks for the reply, still along way in the pipe line for me but its more of a vanity looks thing when parked, attempting to fit a bluemotion engine and cable shift into my t4 next cough cough :gl see how that goes lol.

·
Registered
239 Posts
It has improved the ride but in the grander scheme of things, it's still a van with torsion bars for suspension. I don't run mine too low as the roads around my neck of the woods are absolutely awful. I do prefer having the system over anything else on the van.
Do you have any photos of yours in the highest position and lowest please? Thanks

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #625
I should add some more pictures up of the van to be honest. I'll get round to it at some point.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #627
Sorry mate. Been a while since I checked. I'll fire some up tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Very iterested in air for my LWB T4 Caravelle. It's not just to slam it when parked but so I can adjust the suspension for load.

How many people now have air fitted, what kit and at what cost?

I can do the fit myself but I belive that companies want to fit the front themselves.

I'm working away at the moment so have fired a couple of emails off but had no reply. What is the "best" company for a full digital system?

Cheers, Sam.

T:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Re: Ripples in the water............

Looks great to me too, but I've noticed no one has put a ££ figure into the thread yet ......I'm guessing £3000 minimum ????

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #633
Re: Ripples in the water............

Looks great to me too, but I've noticed no one has put a ££ figure into the thread yet ......I'm guessing £3000 minimum ????
this will all depend on what system you want and what your budget is Pedalman. Granted, the tread is 64 pages long now but it is stated a few times that it will depend on what you want. Give Jonathan a call or email (or look on the website above) to get more details. J will tell you anything you need to know.

·
Registered
573 Posts
this thread is too long to go through but can anyone tell me if thought has been put into just using hydraulic rams on the torsion bar where the adjustment rod is?
Seems simpler to me as no mods required in front suspension. ANd hydro pump is already there. I had initially thought of airbags there but the combined bounce of the airbag and torsion bar would probably be excessive.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #635
this thread is too long to go through but can anyone tell me if thought has been put into just using hydraulic rams on the torsion bar where the adjustment rod is?
Seems simpler to me as no mods required in front suspension. ANd hydro pump is already there. I had initially thought of airbags there but the combined bounce of the airbag and torsion bar would probably be excessive.
It's been talked about and many of the mechanically minded people have said yes, in principle you could pump hydro' Rams on there. It has been done before but it's a god awful ride apparently. It's the complete opposite to air where you bake your spine driving down any country road.

The air system doesn't compromise the standard suspension system like you think. Depending on what height you set it at while driving, you actually find it handling better than the crash bang Wollop of a lowered t4 on torsion bars upfront.

What you do need to remember though is that the T4 is still a van. Unless you go in to a massive fabrication task and redesign the suspension on the T4 to use updated coil overs, you're still driving a van that was designed over 20 years ago.
For the last 4 years, I've had no issues with this system at all. It's on a VAN and not a hothatch so, I've not expected it to turn the T4 into a British touring car over night.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Bringing up an old thread, however the Air Lift link doesn't work and I cant seem to find the package anywhere??? Can anyone shed some light. Has it been discontinued?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I made my own kit from scratch.
8 inch lift fully inflated & on all the way down my subframe sits on the floor.

The 'kits' are all well and good, but im going to be honest here, they don't go very low.
I think if you put time & materials my kit, inc 4 way management & chrome tanks with Viair 444c compressor is around £3500 fitted.

As i said, it depends how low you want to go, i want mine as low as i can get it within my skillset.
People do not show how its done as its not easy at all & involves huge amounts of fab work.

I would make another, happily, but as i said it would be around that price.
and bear in mind, mine sits subframe on the floor on 16's or 17's either or.

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,785 Posts
HOW THE H*LL DO YOU GET THAT THROUGH AN MOT?!?!?!?

The tyres alone should be a fail for safety reasons! :eek:

Then, the geometry....dropping even 20mm makes a drastic change for "all" the angles involved.

Brake balance system.....how did you get around that as there are numerous "OEM" spec springs fitted, and then the way to "tweak" it after lowering.

If yours goes up-and-down...do you have a guy setting the geometry up whilst on the move, and another guy at the back adjusting the balancing valve?

What does your insurance company say about it? (Possibly :*:eek::*Rasp:LOL:.....don't call us, we'll bill you!)

621 - 638 of 638 Posts