VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Would you want an air-ride system on your van????

• Total voters
61 - 80 of 638 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Excellent, how do I near enough do it for free, be very interested to hear T:

What I'm actually after is something I can comfortably ride on around town, higher to areas with speed bumps or country roads and towing and lower for shows. Don't see how I'm pretending to be low when it actually is :confused: perhaps I'll let my tyres down at shows aswell then ;)
Interesting thread,

I've been looking at doing this for years but have never really come up with anybody or anyone who could make this work to my satisfaction and by that I mean being able to sit my van on the ground when static ,however if your guys could make it work then I'd certainly be up for it T:

In essence the problem as I see it is the front end, there just isn't enough room to get a set up that works at a very low ride height due to lack of space and any kit will need to involve some fairly major chassis mods and some type of coil over conversion,which incidentally is why the T5 set up works and is a fairly easy install, although having driven a T5 with a similar set up I can tell you that unless you get the pressures set correctly the ride quality is pretty awful and subsequently it's a bit of a myth that air always=good ride quality

I also think that allowing this thread to describe somebody who has already fitted an air system to a T4 as a cowboy doesn't really help the situation. Especially as the person in question has probably fitted more air and hydraulic systems into cars than anybody else in the country and whose work has received great accolades and has been featured in numerous magazines. (name and shame policy anybody?)

Anyway, as I say interesting thread and one I shall be watching with great interest A:
If you knew how much time, money and effort the so call expert had cost me you mite understand why I call him a cowboy! The reason I when to him in the first place is because if his many features in mags! If you look further into air ride systems and speak to more people who install systems you will hear the same story from them! After paying nearly 3k for the system to be fitted I would expect it to work properly and more importantly be safe!! This was not the case. It's has cost me another grand and a lot of work to get it workin properly and safely! Now the man in question comes across as a very nice fella but his workmanship and engineering skills leave a lot to be desired!! I could go on but I think I'll leave my rant there!!

·
Administrator
30,977 Posts
Was I meant to be quoted above mate??

We have a naming and shaming policy on here is all, peeps can pm you for further details though T:

·
Registered
34 Posts
With regards to no name and shaming dont like getting mugged off and don't want any one else to get ripped off either thats all!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
i like air alot!!

if you could get a system that fits ding dang do, what I would then do is integrate it with an accuair air ride management system (very trick bit of kit) which you can do anything with really!

Just to throw a spanner in the works, Gaz make air struts for a company call HavAir, now a Gaz shortened shock with an airbag at the top might just work, not so tho, and i think you would have to have an upside shock, if that makes sense!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
If you knew how much time, money and effort the so call expert had cost me you mite understand why I call him a cowboy! The reason I when to him in the first place is because if his many features in mags! If you look further into air ride systems and speak to more people who install systems you will hear the same story from them! After paying nearly 3k for the system to be fitted I would expect it to work properly and more importantly be safe!! This was not the case. It's has cost me another grand and a lot of work to get it workin properly and safely! Now the man in question comes across as a very nice fella but his workmanship and engineering skills leave a lot to be desired!! I could go on but I think I'll leave my rant there!!
i also contacted 'said person/company' and remember him saying it is a piece of cake, but funds at the time didnt allow, i have heard mixxed things about him, very good thru to very bad. Strange set up if you ask me!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Hey Wink,

It's not an issue as far as I'm concerned, I was just pointing out that there is a naming and shaming policy in existence which is normally rigidly enforced.

To this end, as the guy has also received plaudits and an enormous amount column inches for his work, perhaps you can see why I mentioned it T:

To be fair to you as I have never had work done by the guy in question, I don't really have an opinion as to its quality other than to say I did have my van booked in with him to have a complete air system fitted about four or five years ago but withdrew after he informed me that he couldn't get the van as low as I wanted.

Since then I have also been party to a conversation concerning him and somebody else about the fitment of the same conversion and surmised that he thought T4's " were a pain in the " to do and that in essence he tended to put people off having the work done,which in view of your plight appears to be incorrect. :*

Anyway, back to the plot, as after a lot of hassle and expense you now appear to have an all singing and dancing T4 on air H:

Piccies please as I for one would love to see the results T:

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Fairs mate, you asked for opinions and put a poll up, just sharing a different opinion thats all. I dont expect everyone to agree and I dont expect everyone to follow me, if we all had identically modified vans we'd look like a right bunch of spanners!!! Diversity is what the modified car/van scene is all about I guess, you just happened to touch on a subject which has really rattled my cage for years! One final point though... I'm 99% sure that my car is waaaayyyyyyy lower than any van on here and that has been a daily driver at that height for years now, I live out in the sticks, have to deal with speed-bumps and country roads etc, it was out everyday when it snowed, been down to cornwall in it several times and the tyres are poked out of the arches just nicely... static drop. So it is possible. HOWEVER... I have been through several sumps in my time, so I'd say the price of the sumps, oil and my time replacing them makes it swings-and-roundabouts as to the cost of air! Static is just the die-hard option I guess...

I am quite interested to see how the air set-up works though as it may raise some useful ideas on going lower static...

P.s. mine's a cider mate H: T:
No I agree mate. Just good to have a points get thrown around from both left and right of the field.T:

I'll happily get you one in at a show next year dude.T:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey Wink,

It's not an issue as far as I'm concerned, I was just pointing out that there is a naming and shaming policy in existence which is normally rigidly enforced.

To this end, as the guy has also received plaudits and an enormous amount column inches for his work, perhaps you can see why I mentioned it T:

To be fair to you as I have never had work done by the guy in question, I don't really have an opinion as to its quality other than to say I did have my van booked in with him to have a complete air system fitted about four or five years ago but withdrew after he informed me that he couldn't get the van as low as I wanted.

Since then I have also been party to a conversation concerning him and somebody else about the fitment of the same conversion and surmised that he thought T4's " were a pain in the " to do and that in essence he tended to put people off having the work done,which in view of your plight appears to be incorrect. :*

Anyway, back to the plot, as after a lot of hassle and expense you now appear to have an all singing and dancing T4 on air H:
Pics please as I for one would love to see the results T:
No he is right there are a pain in the ass and very hard to do!
I'll try do some pic in the week! But cant show you the van all up and running as some little toerag stole my wheels! Will do my best to give ya an idea tho

·
Registered
34 Posts
pics!
in the pic of the rear wheel the front of the van is on stands normaly would be lower!
cant show you pics of the van with wheels on cuz like i said they got nicked and only 19" wheels will fit over the front brakes
new wheels comin soon when they do i'll put up some pics!
didnt bother showing the rear its pretty simple really!

·
Registered
34 Posts
changed brakes cuz the original calipers hit the air bag on full lock! bigger calipers are out in the wheel further!
and they look good!!

61 - 80 of 638 Posts