VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...

I'm sure this has been discussed on here before,i used the search function without much luck???

What i'd like to know is....Are all 2.5 Factory Kombi's in the high road tax bracket i.e.£400 plus for the year?

Any advice much appreciated T:

Andy

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
The expensive ones to tax are the T30
I could be wrong on this?
Feedback good

So Automatics, 9 Seaters, weird ones
and most of all the ones where the ordering dealer from factory didn't have any common sense

If the payload is less that 1000 KG these are the problem ones as they are paying car tax
Also there are issues reclaiming VAT

T5.1 is a lighter vehicle so even T30 in new shape get back VAT
We generally only sold T32 a few years ago if we could help it

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just checked with a mate of mine that has a 2008 Sportline 174 factory combi and he pays 260 for the year!!

Is it not to do with the emissions that are listed on the log book?? i.e. anything over 225 G/km co2's???

Complicated business this eh. I would have thought 2006 models fitted with the DPF would be the lower tax bracket :*

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Not being funny, but I wouldn't be comfortable publishing a photo of my V5 on here.
We can see you reg, vin and engine number, address is mostly visible too.

Maybe I'm paranoid!?!?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Hi all...

I'm sure this has been discussed on here before,i used the search function without much luck???

What i'd like to know is....Are all 2.5 Factory Kombi's in the high road tax bracket i.e.£400 plus for the year?

Any advice much appreciated T:

Andy
In answer to this, no, some are, some are cheaper. If you were looking to buy one, best thing to do is run any potential
ones through the DVLA web site. Just put the reg in and it tells you.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In answer to this, no, some are, some are cheaper. If you were looking to buy one, best thing to do is run any potential
ones through the DVLA web site. Just put the reg in and it tells you.

Real can of worms this! No consistency at all....Any more feedback from the factory combi guys on here would be interesting :eek:

Wonder if Dazboi has an opinion/knowledge on this???

Thanks for al the input so far guys.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I sent my logbook to dvla requesting a change of use as its not used as a diesel car, it's used as a commercial vehicle. They just sent my logbook back, no letter explaining anything no reasons why they dint do it etc

The only plus point and it's a small one, the Severn crossing is car rate, plus I blagged car rate on the Chunnel last time I went over

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've just sold my 2006 (56) T32 130 kombi it was around £260.
Just bought a 2008 (58) T30 174 kombi which is the same tax (£190 refund on insurance too, with my 17 yr old son on!)
Father in law has a 2006 (56) T32 130 kombi which is £440 road tax.
All the above are 5 seaters! :*

·
Premium Member
6,273 Posts
Yeah, weight has nothing to do with it. Any van with a VIN starting WV2 is classed as a car and cant be changed.

Before march 2006 all vehicles are pegged at band K (£260) but after the 24th march 2006 bands L and M are introduced. The manual 174PS version stays in band K, the auto and 4WD versions make more CO2 so they're in the higher band and sadly the 130PS manual also emits too much and gets hit by higher tax.

For the 2007MY VW introduced the BNZ 130PS engine which emits 224g/km CO2 so it should drop back in to band K but there appears to have been an administrative [email protected] up and the first 56 plate BNZ engined vans are still submitted to the DVLA with the old high CO2 of the AXD engine. Shortly after the problem is fixed and they drop back to band K £260.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Nick your paying the wrong tax

DVLA should have picked this up

This is what I think has happened

Basically you have a van that someone has added side windows to
Then for some reason they have written to DVLA to get them to change it
Often Trader buy vans and cut windows in and convert to a Kombi
Giveaway is normally barn doors
And in some cases they send off log books to try and get a better price (logical)

In this case you have a panel van
that clearly has a payload of over 1000KG and a 102 engine
IMAO
You are paying RFL at the wrong rate PLUS entitled to a refund
Need to take it further

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
It was a window van from the factory, the only reason it wasn't a sportline was the previous owner (the M.D of Manheim) apparently wanted a t32 for towing his caravan. They dont do a t32 sportline. So had it specced with every option possible and full sportline kit too.

That's the history I know/was told.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello.

I have had a serious headache over this but haven't got anywhere as yet.

I have a 2008 T5 T30 (sportline version) 2.5 130BHP auto. My tax is £445 a year. My van has seat's behind the driver and then a panelled back. It left the factory like that (factory kombi). what was interesting, on the log book it said it was a Diesel Car with 9 seater. I have spoken with the dealer that sold the vehicle said it left the factory with 6 seats. Now apparently, cause its got 9 seats and classed as a van with windows on the log book means its calssed as a mini-bus which is why its in the highest tax bracket (with the range rover sports) of £445

Has anyone been successful in lowering or changing the tax classification??? I.E changing it to LGV (Lights Good Vehicle)???

Help and assistance required please.

Thanks in advice.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
My understanding of it all;

Factory Kombis are 'Cars' so screwed on tax in the same way 4x4's are....

Factory panels (and those converted to Kombis) are LGV's and thus avoid tax being based on emissions....
:ILU:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts