VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have bought a Rock and Roll bed from my neighbour and now want to get it installed. I asked my garage and he wouldn't do it because he wasn't certified to do so, and said nobody should do it unless they are, for legal and insurance reasons I'm assuming. He also said that if it isn't installed by someone certified I could have problems for future MOT's and even selling unless I have the document to say it was done right. I see where he's coming from but I find it hard to believe. I'm a complete novice so wouldn't attempt it on my own but I probably know 10 handy people I would trust to know what they were doing to help me, or should I find a garage that is registered? Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Hi mate. I think he didnt want to do the job to be fair.

Ive literally just finished fitting a couple of seats in mine, properly i must add in tracks, just rang my insurance just now (adrian flux) and there now notified with no effect on my premium.

IF i was to have an accident and the seats were at fault i can probly bet that the insurance will use that to not pay out. But ive fitted them properly, and they have been told so whats more needs to be done.

You can get a coach builder to fit it for you if your concerned about it. It will probly cost around 3-400 maybe for tracks ect

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok cheers for that. I'll ring my insurance company and find out what they say. If I can avoid spending 3-400 then I will! It seems like a relatively simple job for someone who has a bit of knowledge. Am I right in thinking there are kits/stencils etc so you get it in the right place using the right bolts?

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
It's a relatively easy job to do and there should be fixing points for the bolts...if not spreader plates underneath would distribute the load. There are threads on the Forum about the subject.

...as above, I would say the Garage didn't want the job I:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool thanks mate, pretty much decided I'm going to do a bit of homework and do it myself with a competent buddy of mine.Cheers for your help people!

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
If it's a belted, passenger carrying RnR I can understand. To be fair to the garage guy, if he was unhappy at doing it he has only lost money; doing it wrong could result in the loss of life :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Scaremongering is rife around this subject, but as yet I have yet to find any evidence of fatalities or injuries attributed to any r/r bed :*

...feel free to correct me should I be mistaken.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Scaremongering is rife around this subject, but as yet I have yet to find any evidence of fatalities or injuries attributed to any r/r bed :*

...feel free to correct me should I be mistaken.

I couldnt agree more. It seems like anything that requires a test or a certificate nowadays is so overplayed that any average joe is discouraged from doing it themselves or considered crazy for trying.

Whats to say after this shiny certificate is issued someone doesnt tamper with said works. Unless there painting bolts ect to deter this.

About 10 years a go when i was an appentice we were 6 up in a transit van 3 up front 2 on a shabby bench seat with no belts, wood screwed to ply floor (with stacked washers because the screws were miles too long) and me in amongst all the materials right in the back. It wasnt just a one offs either this was 4-8 month jobs. We had accidents. Never once was there the horror stories you hear. This was 10 years ago cant imagine what 20 30 years ago what was going on.

I dont condone any of this obviously.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts