VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any views on roll out awnings like fiamma f45s etc. thought might be useful for a bit of shade or keeping rain out when door open. don't want to erect a large tent next to the T4 as seems to me to miss the point of having a van or maybe I just don't carry enough stuff with me! I've seen f35s for l/h drive t4s for about half the price of the f45s. surely its just a case of turning them around so the winder is at the opposite end to a R/H drive one?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Saw a Fiamma Caravanstor on a Dutch van yesterday. Nice idea but does this work as I assume it would foul the slider?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Personally I wouldn't want a big metal canister fixed to the side of my van. If all you want is some shade and to keep the sliding door area dry a fold up sun canopy would take minutes to erect
Just want something easy as don't like carrying around loads of clutter in the van:D

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
i have just purchased and ARB 2500 awning, my mate fitted one to his T25 and look very good quality, going to fit it with F45s brackets, was £260 + £60 for the brackets so a fair bit cheaper than the F45s

going to fit it tonight so will get some pictures up

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Not sure if to remove the other roof bar or not
Nice fit. I saw a similar install on a Dutch van but theirs hung a bit lower and looked in danger of fouling the slider.

It's a great shame you had to remove the roof bar in the first place. Surely those aly brackets could have been made to clamp between the gutter and the top of the body frame. Mind you that rear bracket must be a bit snug between the glass and the body?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hi bamberjim, how has this worked out for you?

I'm looking at something like this for my van - easily removable but sturdy and convenient when fitted. I was thinking of the F35 pro, but this looks like a decent option as well as I've heard good things about the quality of ARB products.

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,102 Posts
Saw a Fiamma Caravanstor on a Dutch van yesterday. Nice idea but does this work as I assume it would foul the slider?
All depends on where the awning rail is fitted :)
If on the side of the van, then it would foul the slider and to use it would involve lifting up the storage bag each time you want to open or close the door.

If, however, the rail was mounted on the roof (where I had mine on the T4), or using the roof rack/bar mounts (where I have my rails on my current T5), then the CaravanStore clears the slider (just, but just is enough ;) )

·
Registered
384 Posts
Do you leave that on the van while driving Hoovie? Have you had any issues with noise / flapping or scratches to the van roof?

·
8,102 Posts
Do you leave that on the van while driving Hoovie? Have you had any issues with noise / flapping or scratches to the van roof?
It slides in and out of the rail dead quick, so it usually (such as now) lives in a shed when there is no prospect of it being used.
But yes, when it is on the van, it stays there for the duration of the journey and no apparent issues. No noticable noise and there are rubber bungs attached to bag that sit between it and the van side which keep it away. I guess extra protection could be put on the bungs but don't think it is needed. What I DO have is a awning lock that sides in the ends and stops it shifting during travel as a precaution.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Thanks Hoovie.

I'm trying to find something that is easy to put on and take off - so its easier and saves space when we're camping, but doesn't increase height when we're not camping.

I'm now thinking of something like yours, or maybe an F35 (which I guess is a caravanstore in a clam shell box) on brackets that I can add / remove with 4 bolts.

·
8,102 Posts
Something which I don't think has been mentioned is a feature that the wind-out cassette awnings have (I think true of all of them?) but is not present on the slide-on types (loose or Caravanstore bagged ones) is the ability to partially deploy them without any vertical supports, which actually can be very handy (and would be a key reason I would consider a cassette awning again).

The roof supports store by folding in the middle, so as the awning is wound out, the supports open out and provide rigidity to the awning as it extends. I wouldn't like to extend the awning out past maybe a third out and leave no vertical supports out for a long time, but it does allow you to use the awning as a shower guard over the sliding door to protect the inside from getting wet without legs getting in the way A:
I used to use my Thule Professional Wind-out awning this way when working on location and I had to be constantly getting in and out of the side door but didn't want the inside of the van to get wet due to the lovely Scottish showery summer.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I got a second hand omnistor roll out which is great.
I think a lot depends on how you camp: if you go to one site and stay there 2 weeks, a tent type awning makes sense (but then why have a van???) We tend to stay a few days in one place, then move on. so don't want a dirty great tent bag in the van, or the hassle of putting up a tent (why drive a camper AND have a tent?)
To be honest with 3 of us & a dog, we sit in the van if it's raining - so don't use it so much for rain, far more useful for keeping the sun off when it's really hot, although also useful for keeping chairs & washing dry when it is raining

·
Registered
143 Posts
Apologies for jumping in on the thread...
I have a Fiamma F45 fitted to a Brandrup Rail(similar to Reimo Rail), although not fitted a the moment, when it is I do wonder about the safety and security!
The rail is bonded on with Tigerseal along with 15mm screws into the roof, I do wonder about the loads going through these mounts when driving(the cassette is quiet heavy).
Anyone had one of these shear off whilst driving?
It may just be my job that makes me think about metal fatigue and stresses on structures but would be good to get feedback!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi, I've fitted an S45 on my T5. It took a bit of working out as I've also got a pop top. The only problem with using it as a rain porch over the sliding door is that there will be a gap between the van and the cassette which lets the rain drip down over the door. I had to make up and fit a little plastic gutter to chanel the water away.
I made up some steel brackets which fit into the roof rail mounts and then mounted the Fiamma aluminium brackets onto them. I bonded these to the curve of the roof but didn't add any self tappers and it is solid as a rock and has been for three years. It's quite a heavy piece of kit but is very convenient and is up in minutes. However, we have had a few scary moments when camping in France when sudden stormy squalls flared up and the awning nearly took off. We always wind it in before turning in to be on the safe side. Surprisingly, we have never noticed any wind noise when driving but we never do more than seventy.

Cheers,

J

·
Registered
1 Posts

Not sure if to remove the other roof bar or not
Hello mate, just come across this pic of our van. I realise it was some time ago now, but I just wanted to know if your van is a SWB with the 2500 x 2500 awning. I’ve just ordered the 2500 x 2500 ARB for my SWB 2014 T5 and just started to worry it may be too long and I should have got the 2000 x 2000. Thanks mate.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts