VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am looking to fit roof rails on my T4 (I've already got the long clamp on Thule aero bars + all the bits, cycle carrier and box etc from previous MPV vehicle) has anyone experienced any problems re roof flex or leaks when bolting rails onto roof etc.

As I'll also be carrying quite a long load at times ( I work at festivals and will need to carry large bundles of fibreglass flagpoles) and as all the scrapyard ones I've seen look too short, I've decided to have some custom stainless ones made so I can tweek fixing design to create strongest mount (plates or threaded studs) and still look good.

I've noticed some mount the rails in the raingutter and and some inside on roof section, the raingutter route looks strongest but also most likely to be prone to leak - any feedback on where best to mount + potential problems and solutions?
Andrew
03 T4 888 special

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
My roofrails are mounted just inboard of the gutters. I put plates to the underside of the roof where the rails mount, made from 2mm steel each one drilled to take the bolts from the rails and they are 200mm long and 55mm wide, sikaflexed as well as held by the bolts. I often carry about 80 kgs of bagged windsurfing kit on the roof with no problem at speed over longish trips.
Dont forget, once you fix your cross bars, the whole "structure" becomes more rigid, in as much as the roof rails are held apart as well as together.
I know this pic has been used before, but it shows them quite well.......

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, I want to get it right before the drilling starts, which sikaflex did you use?
Andrew
Ps you're van and board racks look good.

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Honestly can't remember which Sikaflex it was, tube long since gone, used sika primer with it though !

Measure at least twice, put masking tape on roof to mark for drilling, it may help the bit not slip. If your van is fitted out inside, tape tesco bags inside the roof to catch all the rust- promoting swarf from drilling getting everywhere.

Cheers, Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts