VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to try and put 2 different types of 12v leds into my roof lining but i want both sets come on together.

each set will go to a junction box, then normall go off from there. could i join the 2 junction boxes before they get to the switch so it only takes up one switch rather than 2 and they all come on together?

also has anyone bought leds from seal designs on e bay? they are the lights i want and come in sets of 10, because they are used for decking from the junction box they come with a transformer so they can be plugged into a 240v wall socket. how easy is it to do away with this and just go from the junction box straight onto the back of a switch panel and keep them at 12v?

sorry if these are really bone questions but i am a complete electrical biff and want to make sure that these lights can do what i need

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Not a problem at all to have two sets come on together.

They're really low power so again, fine to have them both on one switch.

If you're buying LED fittings which are designed to run at 12v, then a lot of folks have found that they don;t stand up well to the 13.2-14.5v that you normally find floating about the vehicle, and that they can fail in short periods of time.

Simple solution is a cheap 12v regulator unit (around £6) which provides a constant , fused and exact 12v regardless of what else is going on in the van.

More info here: http://www.reuk.co.uk/buy-12-VOLT-REGULATOR-WITH-FUSE-AND-SWITCH-TERMINALS.htm and you can connect both sets to the output from the regulator unit, no prob.

Mine looks like this:

If you want them to also come on when the doors open, then its worth knowing that the interior lights have a permanent live 12v, and its the 'earth' side which is switched on and off by the doorswitches. simple enough to work with though.

hth

Ben

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think the hole coming on when the door opens would be a bit too tricky for me at first

so if i bought one of those units above, i could use the 2 junction boxes as an input into that unit and then just one cable out from there into the switch, is that right?

so even if the company says these lights are 12v i am best off getting one of these units per switch?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Recce - I'm not too far from you, would be happy to help you with this if you want to pop down to Ferndown sometime

If both sets of LEDs are always going to come on at the same time, then they both get wired to the 12v OUT connections on this.

basically - normal Van power goes into it, smooth 12v comes out of it for the lights.

If you use the permanent live from the interior lights as the + input, the switched earth from the doorswitches as the - input, and connect a switch between the - input and the van earth then it will both come on with the doors AND give you the ability to switch it on yourself whenever.

hth

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks alot, been a great help, to be honest i am going to find the electrical side very daunting, i just want to try and get my head round it before i even think about starting it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts