VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there I’ve looked but seem to get confusing results as I want to know something specific.

I’ve got a T5 2005 with roof prep bars. Ideally I want to leave these in and somehow attach an awning to it. Is there a way people have done it before or is there a conversion thing that can be put on/taken off occasionally?

I know I can go magnetic as a last resort!

cheers
Mike

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
I’ve got a T5 2005 with roof prep bars.
Is that these you're talking about?

If so, then I made up an awning rail that can fit on either side of the van. Let me know if these are the ones you have and I'll take some photos to show what I did (y)

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
I was thinking more like this

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies guys and yeah magnetic would be last resort in reality.
Strim here is a picture of my rails so yeah they are like yours!

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys and yeah magnetic would be last resort in reality.
Strim here is a picture of my rails so yeah they are like yours! View attachment 180013
Ok, you have got the same as mine. I'll dig out my rail and take some photos of it to show what I did. It's handy being able to use it on either side so you have a choice where to put your awning/sun canopy when you're out & about. I'll also find the links to show what bits I bought. Back a bit later (y)

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
So what I wanted to do was to be able to use the rail on either side of the van (only useful if you've got twin sliding doors!) and to use the existing roof preparation kit. I have heard of a VW accessory that's meant to do this, but I've never been able to find if it does exist or not.

I ended up using some bolts I had in the shed that have captive washers that are exactly the right size for the job (20mm). These slot into the cutouts on the rail and then I slide them to one side of the cutout and bolt the rail to that. So the bolt goes onto the roof rail like this (although I move it further away from the cutout)...

I bought a 2.5 metre length of rail from Attwools:

I was a bit worried that the 90º angle would be a problem, but it works fine with both our sun canopy as well as the awning. I had to round off a corner and rub down the ends to make it a bit neater, but it's ideal otherwise.

To cut out any chance of rattles while driving and/or damage to the roof, I also got a couple of rolls of black foam tape:

I ended up with 20mm wide tape only because I couldn't find any 40mm, so some might be available now. I also had to get 2 rolls as one didn't do the 5 metres it said it would and was about 5cm short 😤

Then to fix everything down, I bought some of these knobs:

I wanted ones with a closed top to stop any water getting on the bolts and them corroding in place!

Then I measured twice and drilled once, although I did need 6 holes in total. To use it on both left- and right-hand sides, I found you couldn't use the same end holes. And I ended up with this...

Holes-wise, the two at the ends are at 14cm and 19 cm from either end and the middle two are 90cm and 160cm from the end.

Hope that helps. We've used it a few times now and it's easy to swap from one side to the other. I start by putting the bolts in roughly the right place on the roof rails and then slot the awning rail over them. I might try and find some other T-shaped bolts, so that once they're in the roof rail, they can't spin, but the ones I'm using haven't been a problem so far, so I'm not in a hurry to find an alternative.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh wow!!! That’s amazing and so simple!!!! Really really appreciate you taking the time to explain all this Strim and add the links. I will definitely be having a go at it. I do have twin sliding doors and everything you say makes perfect sense even about the holes etc.
Brilliant! Thanks again!!! 👍👍👍

I am at some point soon going to be repairing my cup holder for the price of a cable tie. Courteous of a post on here. I was thinking about buying a replacement until I saw this post. Just need to take the dash apart next! 🤣 How to do that is on YouTube.

So yeah great stuff.🤘🤓🤘

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Glad I could help (y) If you do get a rail from Attwoolls, it comes in a very strong cardboard tube which is very handy for storing the rail in the shed/garage when you aren't using it. If you use my measurements, I'd just mark them first and make sure you're happy with where the bolts would end up on your roof.

I must have a look for the cupholder fix as that's another job I've got to do on ours as well. That and the heater control cable 😩

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes ok sounds like a plan cheers will do! I will definitely double check all measurements etc.

Ok so I needed to gather this info now as well so thought some of it may be of use to you Strim. Maybe you’ve seen it all before but if not hopefully something is useful.!

After searching LOADS for cup holder repair and then giving up then looking for alternatives and giving up. I was about to give up completely until I saw this post on here!! Love it!! And it seems like a really good fix as well. It does mean taking the cupholder out which means taking part of the dash apart as well but I think its worth it.

I’m going to be following the videos on this post to get the dash off. Some of the camera work is a bit dodgy but explains all. The post also has a few extra helpful hints as well.

Whilst the dash is off I think Im going to have a go at my heater control cable like yours too! 🤣 When I bought my van I found the replacement cable in the glove box and didn’t know what it was. And then I found out! 🤣 Anyway glad Ive got it.

I’ve got a couple of audio cables to rewire as well so best to get it all apart in one go! 😬 Anyway heres a video that goes into depth about the heater control unit and talks about the cable replacement too!

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Brilliant! Thanks for the links as they will help. I found the 2p cupholder link not long after I posted my reply yesterday, but realised I'd have to take it right out when I looked at it today, so the other links you posted are spot on, thanks 😀

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great yeah I did see video on how to get the cupholder out without taking the trim of but it wasn't so obvious that you can't disconnect the wires properly once out etc etc. So yeah. Cool.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts