VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright chaps, Just looking into roof racks recently and have seen a few around on the internet and on the forum, but I am just checking if there is any drilling involved? How do they mount? Im new to roof racks and pretty new to vans might seem like silly questions but hey ho I:

Also, just wondering if people still get into multistory car parks with their racks, or if they are easily removable if your wedged under the height restriction sign :D

Pictures would also be great as the ones from online shops are small and very vague.

cheers chaps:ILU:

ps. the van is having a bath today so i will get some pictures up soon hopefully! LOL:

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hello.

I have a roof rack on my T4, or more accurately two roof bars. The main thing is that the fitting is slightly different depending on which bars you buy. My bars are made by Thule and these fit very easy. There is no drilling needed. They each have a rubber foot that sits on the edge of the roof, then a metal bracket that fits on the lip of the roof. The metal bracket is then tightened up, by a bolt, to hold it in place. The lip on the roof is very small, only about 2mm. :eek:

I have carried a number of boats on my bars with no problems. Sorry no photo’s at the moment, it’s a bit dark out there. You can see them on my T4 in my profile, in the distance.

John.

·
Registered
120 Posts
There 2 types, drill & fix (ouch) such as tuffrax usually heavy duty commercial use and the more friendly demountale type such as Paddy Hopkirk that are still classed as bolt on but you don't have to put any holes in your van. You clamp a footpack on the cant rail (angled bit of the roof where horizontal meets vertical and slide/bolt your cross bars in. They work well for general use ie surfboards, fence panels etc. Can't comment on carparks but it puts a good few inches on the height of your van & although its a straight forward fit you wouldn't want to have to fanny around putting it on & off everyday. Usually cost around 120-150 ish although keep a look on ebay you sometimes see them & they go for £50ish? used Hope this helps regards AL

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hello.

Forgot to metion about car parks. My T4 has standard springs and fits under a 6.3 ft height bar without roof bars. With my roof bars on I can get under 6.6 ft height bars. But double check your height before you try squeezing under any bars.

John.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello.

I have a roof rack on my T4, or more accurately two roof bars. The main thing is that the fitting is slightly different depending on which bars you buy. My bars are made by Thule and these fit very easy. There is no drilling needed. They each have a rubber foot that sits on the edge of the roof, then a metal bracket that fits on the lip of the roof. The metal bracket is then tightened up, by a bolt, to hold it in place. The lip on the roof is very small, only about 2mm. :eek:

I have carried a number of boats on my bars with no problems. Sorry no photo’s at the moment, it’s a bit dark out there. You can see them on my T4 in my profile, in the distance.

John.

Hi john. Do you know what model your roof bars are, the ones you are describing are the ones I’m after but I can’t find them anywhere

1 - 7 of 7 Posts