VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a roof rack or roof box fitted to the hinged end of an elevating roof? If so, would you let me know how you did it? Ideas about ladders on the tailgate would also be useful. I know fiamma does one but I would rather one in powder coated steel.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Another option is the Thule kit. It doesn't look as good johneames's roof rails but its easy to fit. I went for these as i only have about 10mm clearance when i put the van in the garage( i only put the bars on when we go away).

I don't have a good photo but this should give you some idea.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks T4cali and twosugars.

This sort of help and advice is invaluable for a novice like me. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
i have a set of roof bars on my westy pop top, think the the fixing brackets are brandrup? (spelling) i think the last owner had some bars fabricated to fit these brackets,
Only thing i would say is that underneath the pop top there are two brackets which i'm guessing are to support the weight rather than letting the pop top take all the weight

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
T4Cali

I have looked at the Thule site and the only fittings I can see are on gutters or pre-existing runners; I can't see anything that has the mounting brackets fitted vertically. Do you have a model number for the ones you have? It looks good and will fit well with my SCA roof which isn't as refined as the Reimo. Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
You need the 'Thule 542 Artificial Rain Gutter'. It dosen't seem to show up on the Thule website but you can find them online, @£40

One thing to think about is the height of the foot pack you use. If you use the Thule kit there are several heights. If you go for the shortest one you may struggle to get a windsurf/surfboard on. I have the shortest (can't remember the height) and need to have my board quite far forward.

Also, as the brackets are fitted outside of the roof canvas there is no chance of any leaks.

·
Registered
352 Posts
saw a red german but on british plates calafornia today down in swansea marina not far from me, bit faded but it had the westy pop top with roof bars on it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts