VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen on some peoples vans that they have roof rails but I can't for the life of me find any online....

can anyone help? I'm having an ebay clear out to further fund this crazy addiciton!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I got some proper full length stainless ones off ebay abut a year ago Way better looking than them ones that stop at the b-pillar....you can just whack some MPV or estae car ones on if you want that look). Will post a link if I can find who the seller was...he was selling quite a few at the time anyway!:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got some rails from palmautomotive they are stainless steel ,they are actually the ones for a T5 and you just cut them down to size , they are the TRAX ones as these are polished stainless and not chromed stainless like the cobra ones cost £211.50.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got some proper full length stainless ones off ebay abut a year ago Way better looking than them ones that stop at the b-pillar....you can just whack some MPV or estae car ones on if you want that look). Will post a link if I can find who the seller was...he was selling quite a few at the time anyway!:)
where would I get some estae or MPV ones from? a scrap yard? woudl they need a lot of adjusting?
I don't really want chrome ones.. I prefer the black ones to be honest.

Does anyone know what make estate or MPV ones woudl fit a t4?

thanks for all your help by the way, this forum is brill!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
excelent! and this will sound stupid, are they black and will they fit the t4?

thats such a dumb question, why would you be offering me ones that won't fit?! duh! loooong day, bed time....

Would ther ebe any chance of a pic? I don't think I'm going to big bang but maybe someone from this area is?I:I:I:

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm designing some custom ones at the moment... brackets are waterjet cut from aluminium and main rail strip is 1.25"x0.5" aluminium flat bar. Just getting some quotes back and when i've priced it up i'll see if anyone else wants to order a set to get the numbers up and thus price down. I'm hoping around £80 for the set (three brackets per side - full length bar).

Pic below of where I am so far with it if you're interested.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
They're looking nice!!

I picked up mine from www.nirro.co.uk -think they are Sharan, for about £90 I think.

They do clamp down but a straighter rail would be better as the roof is flat of course.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
hey ampy sorry for not returning your PM hopefully this might help.

My roof rails are off a sharan (galaxy or alhambra are the same) and were from a VW breakers in wiltshire (found him on ebay, he does wheelchair conversions using sharans so puts a hightop roof on taking the rails off)
Paid about £50 for them and they were like new

the feet of each rail have a double ended bolt in them which I removed using two nuts locked together. this left a casting off each foot about an inch deep lower than the nice outside part of the rail.
I cut this casting off flush the the rest of the foot of the rail which left a threaded hole at least an inch deep in each foot. with some careful measuring I drilled 3 holes in each trough of the roof and bolted from inside with M8 bolts (I think) cut to length to fit. I then removed them after to put plenty of sikaflex under them and touch wood they haven't leaked yet.
They do need to be forced to sit flat as they have a bit of a curve to them still but they do sit nice in the troughs once on.
I used 135cm thule aero bars to go across as I though they looked the nicest.
hope this helps
cheers
ben

ebay looksy
galaxy bars

·
Banned
642 Posts
Mine came off of a Mitubushi Spacestar apparently they are the only ones known to have totally FLAT feet where it mounts to the roof, and therfore easier to fit...
I currently have a set of Mutsi cross bars ally ones which match the diag ones nicely and a roof box on top of that..
The only issue i have found with not using Vw ones is that they have to be fitted further in towards the centre of the middle line of the roof, which means that any roof box you fit will sit in a bit which makes loading and unloading a bit more difficult...
im not sure if the last owner fitted them or C-M-C who built it but i thing it was C-M-C Cheshire Moror Caravans, Mike apparently is a good bloke although after repeated attempts to try and speak to him since owning this bus have so far failed, but you might want to give him a rung or mail i'm pretty sure he could assist you..
See my van in readers rides team white [all the way by the way] and White Noise is mine or see June and May issue of Vw Camper and Bus for features on it all showing my bus White Noise with the bars fitted i aslo have some close ups if you want i will emal then direct to you as dont understand how to get photos up on here..
Hope that all assist somewhat let us know how u get on ..
Slanj

·
Banned
642 Posts
Absolutely know idea however there has to be a good reason why most choose either aftermarket rails or those from either other makes or make them up...
Maybe that could be your answer someone cleverer than me could maybe answer this but i would suggest [maybe wrongly] that either it is a far to expensive option or that they plainly dont fit I:
Slanj

·
Registered
159 Posts
These look great.

Let me know when you have some ready with a price.

I'm designing some custom ones at the moment... brackets are waterjet cut from aluminium and main rail strip is 1.25"x0.5" aluminium flat bar. Just getting some quotes back and when i've priced it up i'll see if anyone else wants to order a set to get the numbers up and thus price down. I'm hoping around £80 for the set (three brackets per side - full length bar).

Pic below of where I am so far with it if you're interested.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.