VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Hope you are well.

I'm considering getting a Caravelle (weekend road trips with a young family and poss In-Laws in tow on occasion), and wondered what anyone's recommendation would be please?

Any advice gratefully received. My dogs sometimes stay at Kennels, and their Breeder has a LWB Transporter 4motion and she raves about the 4motion aspect!

Many thanks in advance!

Regards. Rob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello

Get one with all the Sears, table and bench seat. It has many, many uses with this.

Beware dodgy refits from ex mobility vehicles.

DSG is my preference, it's good.

Don't be fussy about se or exec spec

Jake

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello

Get one with all the Sears, table and bench seat. It has many, many uses with this.

Beware dodgy refits from ex mobility vehicles.

DSG is my preference, it's good.

Don't be fussy about se or exec spec

Jake
Thanks very much for the pointers!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Really flexible layout options with the rails - as jakom says though, go for one with plenty of seats - each one can be removed / refitted as you wish and it's position altered along the length of the rails. Avoid the 2.5L engine on the T5.1.

·
Special Rapporteur
8,760 Posts
Avoid the 2.5L engine on the T5.1.
I suspect you meant to write "Avoid the 2.0l Bi-turbo engine on the T5.1"?

If so, I think it's fair to suggest that these engines are viewed with caution, rather than being avoided totally.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
I suspect you meant to write "Avoid the 2.0l Bi-turbo engine on the T5.1"?

If so, I think it's fair to suggest that these engines are viewed with caution, rather than being avoided totally.
The 2.5 is a great engine, the 180bitd is known for scored cylinders and a 7k new engine.

As with anything, all mechanical issues can be very costly, no matter the engine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Make sure all of the seat mechanisms work. They can be costly to repair/replace. Same for the blinds in the rear.

Look for a good night package if you see yourself ever sleeping in it. The folding bench seat is the best option if you want to use it as an occasional camper without mucking about with the interior.

Don't be afraid of high mileage but check service history. Caravelles are used a lot as motorway taxis and can really do some miles. Fine if they're maintained well.

4motion is great, but mpg can be bad around town.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Make sure all of the seat mechanisms work. They can be costly to repair/replace. Same for the blinds in the rear.

Look for a good night package if you see yourself ever sleeping in it. The folding bench seat is the best option if you want to use it as an occasional camper without mucking about with the interior.

Don't be afraid of high mileage but check service history. Caravelles are used a lot as motorway taxis and can really do some miles. Fine if they're maintained well.

4motion is great, but mpg can be bad around town.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
That is really helpful thank you. I always wondered about 4motion, but you have answered it!

·
Registered
448 Posts
All T5 Caravelles have the same interior rail system and huge basic spec. Swivelling fully adjustable mid row seats (built in child seat option), stunningly clever multi adjustable pop up table and foldable full width bench rear seat that allows, with a spare few minutes the option of creating a bed like arrangement. SE spec are the ones in greater numbers, Execs have extras in leather/alcantara seat upgrade, extra clocks and elec doors. These vehicles weigh in at best part of three tons so the earlier five pot 2.5 ltr engine is the more torquier choice and the reason why earlier ones still command a high value, even with relatively high miles.
Finding them is difficult as their enormous original purchase price meant other cheaper carriers were preferred and meaning there aren’t that many out there.
VW having no choice but to drop the 2.5 ltr engine through emissions regulations meant installing their 2.0 ltr four pot became the norm. Weight of the vehicle meant installing a single and then twin turbo configuration to assimilate the performance of the 2.5 ltr unit.
Mixed opinions out there on how well this has worked over the years. Best of luck looking.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I love my T5.1 2.0 Caravelle 140bhp (SE spec is perfect), had it 5 years, its a manual gearbox as we had problems with the 2 previous DSG Caravelles. I love the manual gearbox, especially now out of warranty.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I love my T5.1 2.0 Caravelle 140bhp (SE spec is perfect), had it 5 years, its a manual gearbox as we had problems with the 2 previous DSG Caravelles. I love the manual gearbox, especially now out of warranty.
Quite.
Earlier DSG gearboxes can often be troublesome.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts