VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rosita the Party-van build...

First thing I feel I must say... I'm big on BUILT NOT BOUGHT, so if it's physically and financially possible for me to make it, I will. I'd recommend it to anyone, the satisfaction is immense!

I have no professional qualifications, just enthusiasm, power tools, and occasional time on my hands​

Well I've had my van for nearly a year now. I'd done a functioning but basic build for my work at Glade, Glasto, SGP and Reading festivals last year (that's 3 1/2 months straight living in the van onsite!). But figured i could so so much more.

As I bought her:

Fold flat triple rear seats up for sale. Make me an offer, I kinda want them out the garage!

I stripped and insulated with flashband tape and celotex, but we all know whatan empty van and insulation looks like, so no pictures.
Advice on request ;)

As I built her last year:

Out with the old and in with the new...

Note: Not all photos were taken in the correct order, so stuff will appear and disappear I:

First step was something I was too excited about to hang around on, I built myself a rooflight, based on the idea of the colour changing dancefloor tiles you see in the movies and some clubs. It's run off an ebay music led controller. It has 4 modes, you can pick any colour, have it change colour to music/sound, or flash different colours to music/sound.

Mounted, nice low profile, no loss of what little headroom there is :rolleyes:

I fixed it using black screw rivets that i got off ebay. Not as cheap as i thought, but well worth it, very secure! ebay search: "t4 screw rivets":

The go all down the sides, and cross the van 4 times. No point risking it dropping if i hit bump too hard whilst driving!
I used all the orignal holes in the van, no drilling A:

And here's a video of it in action. (battery in the remote was low, so struggled to dim it all the way):

Subwoofer Box

I didnt care where in the van the bed went, so I made a box for the sub so it could be mounted to give the best sound when inside the van. Thanks to the insulation and positioning, when the windows are closed, it doesnt thud and upset pedestrians/local residents too much! But i'm generally considerate when in residential/office areas. ;)
It's seured down using 6 L-brackets, which 6 screws per bracket.

After a second calculation, the box was way to big, so had to trim it down a bit

Box is solid as a rock!

Leisure battery went in with BEP Marine dual sense 125a vsr, wiring from Upspex (member on here). Photos further down.

A USEFUL TIP ON BATTERY VENTING: I got two free biro's from a local blue-emblemed bank ;), took the nib bit out and chopped it down, they are the perfect size to fit in the holes on either side of the battery top plate, then used silicone hose to run it down into the slam vent behind the wheel arch and outside into the rear bumper.

On to the sofa/bed

I wanted something that I could use for overnight stays when visiting friends, without having to clear the floor of the van, hence the sofa style, instead of rock n roll bed. Note that this also helps stop the subwoofer box from destroying me if, God forbid, I were to have a high speed head on collision.
I built a frame that slides out on runners to make it into a double bed. There is plenty of storage space underneath

I made the mattress myself out of an old ikea sultan foam mattress (a lot cheaper when bought second hand than new foam), which i tediously cut in half horizontally with a sharp knife, so it was only 2" thick. I then bonded a 2" memory foam mattress topper to it. Then I glued a black material to it as an under-cover. Supports weight and looks better until i get round to sewing the covers, which will be the same material as used on the rooflight and curtains. (you'll see in the rooflight video, the dual layer mattress covered and uncovered)

It then occurred to me that it would be a lot neater to have draws under the bed. So out come the power tools and I had a new project! Happy with the outcome. The draw is generally used to house i carry everywhere with me but will be used for clothes when on-site. The cupboard next to it is used to store duvet, pillow, windscreen blind and will house the side window blinds when i've made them:

Next up, the 6x9 boxes

The original boxes werent convenient for my set up, so i went about making a box to house them at the back, attached to the roof. Aside from glue drying time, this took less than a day:

I mounted it using 4 L-brackets from the diy store, so it is plenty stable, although when i take it all out to carpet the van, I'll add a couple more to hold it back incase of serious head on collision. Always prepare for the worst and hope for the best! T:

Exterior Styling

In between all the stuff I did on the inside of the van, I took car of the outside a bit too:

Heat gun treatment on the bumpers:

Then some silicone bumper spray to help protect, (the gloss effect wore off after a few days, which I was happy about)
To be honest, I think i could've used a better type of silicone or sealer, as this stuff didnt last too long, but it's cheap and easy to apply:

Bonnet bra, debadged front grill, black vinyl on cross member:

Also sorted the suspension. It was at -60 on cheap springs when i got it, ended up sagging when the build began:
So i treated it to some Eibach -45 springs. SUCH an improvement to ride quality!

Before:

After:

Well that's her for now... I'm chuffed to bits and enjoyed every second of the build.

What's next?
Carpeting! I've been putting it off till i got everything where i wanted it and came up with a colour scheme. Which I just about have
Smaller rings of led's around the rear forward facing speakers (behind white perspex) to give contrasting colours, or a less 'in your face' light when hungover and lying in bed!
Solid window panels instead of curtains for the side's, using left over celotex.
16 or 17 inch alloys in satin or matt black.
Side bars made by my mate in satin or matt black.
Possibly vinyl sticker just above the sidebars (gonna use photoshop to decide)

(My mate's thinking of making loads of sets of side bars up to sell at a very reasonable price. Will post in the 'built by members for members' section as soon as he makes a start, shouldnt be long now, trust me, I'm nagging him!)

Page 2: Bed frame structure photos.

Page 4: Rebuilt again, new photos up

·
Registered
178 Posts
Cracking looking Van - love the roof light and great tip for the T4 screww rivetsA:

Being new to this i was wondering how to deal with extra thick roof linings etc

·
Registered
265 Posts
Loving the built not bought van buddy:cool: will be keeping an eye on this one as looks like it'll be a goodun! Keep the pics coming:ILU:

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cracking looking Van - love the roof light and great tip for the T4 screww rivetsA:

Being new to this i was wondering how to deal with extra thick roof linings etc
Loving the built not bought van buddy:cool: will be keeping an eye on this one as looks like it'll be a goodun! Keep the pics coming:ILU:
Now that is some MINT light and sound :cool:
Thanks guys, this is a lot to arrive in one post, but it's been built over the last 4 months. I'm sure there's more fun things to come.
Cant wait to get it carpeted, I think that'll be the clincher!

I'm tempted to mount a smoke machine in the sliding door step and a stripper/dancer's;) pole that attaches to the tailgate. No practical reason for either of those things, but for the simple reason of "Because I can". LOL:

If anyone has any other crazy, stupid, yet fun and doable ideas, please let me know.

Watch this space...

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
love the roof light / headliner - very cool T:

great to see an alternative layout too, good on you for being innovative and self sufficient T:

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So where are we gonna see this one in action :)H:
Look out for the rave at this years shows
Ha, well I havent hit the dub show scene yet, but with no Glastonbury this year, and me taking a year out from working Reading festival, that's 11 weeks of my summer that i get to play with, doing things i couldnt previously do.

Big-Bang and CamperJam are on the cards, there'll be others, and i'm going to try n do a few of local meets too.

One thing I will say though, unless it is welcomed or acceptable at a show, I wont be putting on the raves or playing with the volume dial so much because I get the impression that kinda thing isnt welcome at most shows... Whilst i love a good party, I do my best to be respectful (even if I dont always get it right I: )

Thanks for the comments though, there's more to come! T:T:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Respectfull??!?!?!?!
Dude you're gunna put a ripper pole on your tailgate....

You my friend will have the party central bus at shows!!!

I applaude your innovation and look forward to seeing it (and the strippers swinging around the back) in the flesh A:A:T:

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Respectfull??!?!?!?!
Dude you're gunna put a ripper pole on your tailgate....

You my friend will have the party central bus at shows!!!

I applaude your innovation and look forward to seeing it (and the strippers swinging around the back) in the flesh A:A:T:
THINKING of putting a dancers pole on tailgate, jack the ripper's got no part in it! Rasp:

At the risk of sounding defensive, I dont objectify women, but if they choose a profession where they take their clothes off to make reasonable money, then dont blame me for getting amongst it! :D

Like I said, it'll be a bit of fun and novelty at best, all in the name of good humour (and perhaps a free dance someday! :cool:)

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
THE BED FRAME:

I'm still working on the finishing touches, but this is to show the mechanism of it. I used a lot of timber as it's built to last (and the timber was free :D)

The section are connected together with two 3ft piano hinges.

The cutout on behind the drivers seat is to allow it to slide up and down wthout having to move the drivers seat.
The cutout on the seat section is because, up till a few days ago, i had a fixed double passenger seat, and the rear support was in the way a bit.

Tomorrow I'm going to make a proper runner and support to hold it up when in double bed position.

I'l also hang the rear curtains i've made and post pictures.

·
Registered
46 Posts
hiya, could you put on or send me some pictures of the rear seats? As i'd like to see the front of them, have they got belts with them? Cheers! P.S Vans looking great!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts