VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is a long story are you ready,in october had the mot failed due to high immisions so the machnic fitted a new cat and exhaust system he said made it better but not low!! 3 weeks latter took the van out and stoped for fuel and wouldnt start ,it would fire and then go out after 2 seconds, after 3 weeks of trying to get an answer i took it to a local garage which deal with electrical problems £215 lighter,they said the immobiliser had lost contact with the ecu and changed a relay! (coned im sure) now they fixed the starting problem but it runs realy rough oh and now central locking works! taking it home that night a 4 mile trip i got out to smell a burning smell the cat was red hot,so in the morning i took it to the mot garage thinking its a faulty cat, 5 weeks on the chap has said a throttle body needed cleaning as to much unburnt fuel and immissions were sky high!hes done this and guess what still the same im realy fed up and getting the van back today anyone think or put me in the right direction or want a cheap caravelle!! by the way its a 2.5 automatic petrol n reg caravelle pleassssssssssssssse help ,joke apart will be selling if anyone interestead fed up!!!

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
You'll have to help me out her mate Is your vehicle injection or Carb ?
Even though I am no expert on the T4 petrol I may be able to help as I have a wide knowledge of other vehicles.

·
Registered
648 Posts
You'll have to help me out her mate Is your vehicle injection or Carb ?
I think all the 2.5 petrols were FI.

Have you had the ignition timing checked? Poor running and hot exhaust can be caused by retarded ignition. If it's one of the Digifant 2.5l, then it could be perished vacuum hoses causing lack of advance as well.

Otherwise, if they're fine, I'd be thinking about a temp sensor or lambda sensor fault as the next most likely options.

If it's got an OBDII port, see if you can find someone near you with VAGCOM to read the ECU faults. Might save a lot of hunting around.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its been on the reader with no faults coming up! i was thinking of chucking a temp sensor in it as thy are only 7 quid could it be this and wouldnt that show on the reader? the exauast that came of was a straight through custom twin from thhe cat

·
Registered
724 Posts
A good thing to try is to clean up the battery terminals and the big earth connections from the battery to the body, unbolt them shine them and clean them then bolt back on. It may not solve the issue but a bad earth can make all sensors read slightly wrong, don't cost anything either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts