VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to fit a central locking kit to my van and i called into my local VW dealer today to get the rubber bellows that cover the wires between the van and the door. They want £20 each for them!!!!
Has anybody found a better way of doing this or some from another vehicle that would fit?:*

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Golf or polo have suitable sized bellows butthey only go between the two grommets you can see, you'll need to keep the grommets, drill a 25mm hole in one anda 32mm hole in the other - repeat on the other side.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I picked up some T4 rear barn door ones off the dreaded #Bay for a few quid,
cut in half they work perfectly if you drill a hole in the plastic grommets in the door and
A pillar as Discodave says.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Go to your nearest scrapyard and get some bellows from any car. The trim the grommets in your door and A pillar to the correct size.

Job jobbed!!!

·
Pedal box guru
2,616 Posts
Hi,

If you are considering going down the DIY route with door bellows please bear in mind you will need to go through and seal up 3 grommets! The 2 you can see with the door open and a 3rd one behind the one you can see in the body of the van.

It is very tempting to ignore the hidden 3rd grommet but don't especially on the drivers side as the groomet is right next to the fuse box, and if there is not an effective water tight seal here then you must expect a badly corroded fuse box in the future and a howling draught on your right leg the passenger will have a frozen left leg obviously:D

Cheers Trev.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice, it looks like i can use some from another vehicle, unless Wind Welder wants to charge me a bit less for something he is not using?T:

·
Registered
324 Posts
got mine from tps £14 each i know it is a lot of money but keeps the job right and fit nicely and as the other post says van is kept water and wind tight T:

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
If don't get a good tight seal on these water runs down inside and corrodes the door switches as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts