VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys and girls

As of 1st April 2012 the regulations surrounding getting a vehicles type changes are due to be changed.

Anybody wishing to have their vehicle changed to a camper after this date will have to go through the dreaded IVA route which is not only expensive but will involve a heck of a lot of other stuff to pass the tests.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
a big headache and a big bill

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motorin...hicle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/DG_177879

fee list
http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/Transport_files/108_IVA_Inspection_Fees_1111.pdf

iva info guide can be found here
http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/Transport_files/IVA_Information_Guide.pdf

basically you will no longer be able to send a modified vehicle doc to the dvla and them change your vehicle type to camper van. You will be directed down this route and incur a £199 bill. Lush

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
for a start i cant see them liking the following without proper crash test documentation.

*Rock and roll beds with seat belts
*Swivel bases

The gas and electrical systems such as the hob and any other electrical equipment you've fitted such as 240v hookup etc will definitely need to be certified and have documentation to prove so.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
copied this from another thread, somebody has contacted dvla, so panic over.

Had this email from DVLA last week, which just makes matters all the more confusing!!!!

Dear Mr Wilkinson

Thank you for your email received on 7/12/11.

Type approval for motor caravans comes into force on 29 April 2012. This means that type approval documentation will need to submitted with all first registration applications for motor caravans from this date.

At present there are no plans to request type approval documentation for motor caravans that are converted after they have been registered, current procedures will continue.

I hope that this information has clarified matters for you.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
OP. Where have you got this information from? I'm well in with the kit car scene and literally built a Lotus 7 replica myself. The chassis was welded by me, the electrics were done by me and I had to put it through the IVA's predecessor, the SVA.

My understanding of the requirement is that it is only needed if the vehicle's chassis is altered in any way and still there is no need for any conformity certificate. It's down to the testers opinions and also rules such as sharp edges, emissions, brake strengths and so on and so forth.

I have heard from a camper conversion garage that only tested R&R beds will be accepted soon and that MOT places will not pass a camper without but then again I'm not sure if I fully believe that as this would contradict a massive chunk of the kit car builders work.

I wouldn't worry about it all until I see an official release on it, it would likely be some kind of short, type approval thing like DVLA do anyway in most areas (and charge you for the pleasure!). The IVA itself isn't too bad either, just a bit of a nause with the travelling and days off work. The biggest issue being the price but blame the government for that trying to drive people off the roads (see that pun there?)

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Apart from being able to do 70 on a dual carriageway and possibly ever so slightly cheaper insurance.
What actual benefit is there for me to have it changed on my logbook?.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the main one youve missed there is the ability to get an agreed value with an insurance company,

my insurance is also loads cheaper!

The only other benefit is that ferry crossings and the like (something i do 1-2 times per year) are also cheaper!!! weird

anyway, back on topic that letter is very interesting and contradicts everything ive read/seen.

the purpose of this thread was to make people aware of whats going on, but what is actually going on seems to be anyones guess.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
the main one youve missed there is the ability to get an agreed value with an insurance company,

my insurance is also loads cheaper!

The only other benefit is that ferry crossings and the like (something i do 1-2 times per year) are also cheaper!!! weird
Cheers :), just wanted to know what I am potentially missing out on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts