VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Only bought my T5 a few months ago and am absolutely loving it! I bought it as a second hand conversion and there are a few minor electrial modifications I want to make and hoping some of the electrical gurus on here can give me some advice.

First of all I would like to install some LED lighting above the sliding door controlled by a switch hooked up to the leisure battery.

I would also like to hook up 2 x 12v cigarette lighter sockets connected to the leisure battery primarily to power a small 12v tv and media player.

I know this can be done but would really like both both available whilst driving, mainly to keep the kids quiet.

Is this going to cause any problems? Could the loads potentially draw power away from the vehicle elctrical system?

The main electical system is controlled with a Bonus PMS 3H Power Management System that includes a split charge relay.

I have done a fair bit of reading on this but cannot not seem to find a clear answer.

Thanks for any pointers T:

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,759 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem at all, my fridge runs all the time we're travelling off the leisure battery & that takes a fair whack.

·
Special Rapporteur
10,414 Posts
In theory it ~could~ interfere with the vehicle's ECU and other control systems, so power management systems that are intended to be "professionally" installed may have a feature that switches off non-essential loads in the back of the van.

In practice I've never heard of a single instance of a problem, and private individuals are not bound by the regulations on the subject anyway - so no reason not to. However, make sure that the driver is not likely to be distracted by anything that is in use (e.g. by interior lights at eye level). I believe that the police can take action if that is the case - but again I've never actually heard of them doing so.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Its running off the leisure battery so is effectively isolated from vehicle/ecu systems - not a problem at all as long as appropriate fuses/cable ratings are used. You aren't going to draw more than 10-20amps with those circuits.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
Not strictly true, as the van has a split charge system which connects everything on the leisure circuit to the vehicle battery when engine is running.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK so sounds like it shouldn't be a problem but cannot 100% rule it out. I suppose the only way to rule it out would be to physically isolate them completely.

All will be properly fused as advised.

Thanks for the advice :)

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
The issue you can get is if the split charge cuts in and toy spare suddenly supplying your 12v units at 14.7v

But if you have done the sensible thing and put a voltage regulator in the wiring for the items that need a steady voltage you will be fine.

Things that need a regulated voltage are LEDs and TVs.

TBH I can't remember if my box of tricks from Martin has which outputs regulated but then I rarely run things while the engine is running.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
I should have said the leisure battery won't get a draw more than 20a for led lights and small tv / media device - spilt charge circuit could draw much more. But its not going to interact with ecu/vehicle electrics as its taking power from the leisure battery. Worst case is a flat starter battery nothing to do with ecu?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts