VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im installing a battery stack and inverter because Im converting my Transporter van into a mobile espresso bar.

What is the best way to run a 12V line into the back of the van? (This is to charge from the alternator)

Thanks

·
Registered
170 Posts
Look up split charging (using a relay system) as this is a good way to charge auxhillary batteries without flattening your main battery for the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive got the splitter. Its the actual running of the cable im not sure about. Over? Under? Through? From the fuse box, From the battery +? :)

·
Registered
436 Posts
From the battery via a fuse or a spare power take off under the battery in the e box again via a fuse or directly from alternator best to run inside less chance of damage ,or underneath and secure with p clips and conduit where possible id over rate the cabling off the 2nd battery and split at the end via a master cut off then a 4/6 way fuse board that way you have the option to add bits easily , led light , fan , 12v point for phone charger etc... Without over load on the circuit and each is fused directly .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's brilliant advise and I will follow. I'm still stuck with the best way to run the cable in a T5. I'm thinking from the engine through the dash and then via the passenger step housing adjacent to the door.

·
Registered
896 Posts
That's brilliant advise and I will follow. I'm still stuck with the best way to run the cable in a T5. I'm thinking from the engine through the dash and then via the passenger step housing adjacent to the door.
This might not be the best way for you but its an option that I took.... van was a t5.1
Lift battery and battery plate out remove fuse/ecu box top cover to find main heavy fuses, my number 3 was empty so fitted split charge cable here fused, ran cable out of Left hand side gromit very low down at the back. Cable ran up bulkhead ovrr towards break servo there is a grommit in to cab, then following harness inside down behind heater matrix and past airbag ecu in the center under the carpet to drivers seat where battery and split charger is located,
Spur power wires from here to other places around the van as required.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts