VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ho folks,
Im still trying to find myself a job. ive recently applied for a job as a rural development officer and have been invited for an interview next week. they have asked me to prepare a 10 minute presentation on a case study on working with community groups.
I know its a long shot, but does anyone have any experience in this field?

cheers

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
l have some experience doing these types of interviews!

Your question is: case study on working with community groups

Do it on powerpoint
Use video footage or photos
keep it below 10 powerpoint slides
Ask organisation to provide IT equipment for your presentation and check your presentation will work beforehand
Discuss you case example - where you have had a role in community groups - voluntary and or paid
Community development model - theoretical basis try link - http://ctb.ku.edu/en/tablecontents/sub_section_main_1386.aspx
Also - http://ocw.jhsph.edu/courses/socialbehavioralfoundations/PDFs/Lecture12.pdf
How was the group formed and their purpose
What was your role and objective
Highlight some barriers, how you overcame and most importantly the successes and achieving the project goals
What skills, knowledge & experiences do you bring to group which are transferable in position you are applying

Good Luck

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks isobelle,

theres alot of stuff can use here. the case study they have given me is

"A community group in rural Conwy runs the village hall which is in disrepair and requires extensive work. Previous grants have paid for a kitchen and toilets. How would you work with the group to develop its capacity and ensure the future susainability of the builing"

the problem is I don't have experience in this field as I recently graduated from Bangor Uni doing a degree in agriculture,conservation and the environment and before that I was a maintenance craftsman at an aluminium factory and now Im looking for work. I have a had an interview for this kind of job with another council but I didnt get it due to lack of experience. As a result of that I have been doing voluntary work with the National Trust and other organisations hoping this might help for this job.

Thanks again for the info!T:

·
Registered
511 Posts
When I was 13, I did a 10 minute talk on tying my own flies for catching trout. Maybe you could do it on that. I think my mum has my old English notes in her loft that I could scan in and email you. It would be relevent to your job as agriculture is in the country and so are reservoirs where flies are used. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
3,716 Posts
I would see the role there as an organisor;
eg, initially facilitating an open meeting to identify those local individuals/groups with an interest in the Hall, and those with potential interest.
then facilitating a meeting of these to understand feelings, desires, advantages and disadvantages of the hall.
identifying any current, medium and long term issues with the hall.
perhaps forming a sub committee with members from each group.
identifying who locally can help with the issues, and at what costs - fees / discounted use etc. scheduling regular meetings. seeing support from local businesses etc

good luck

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
So, "A community group in rural Conwy runs the village hall which is in disrepair and requires extensive work. Previous grants have paid for a kitchen and toilets. How would you work with the group to develop its capacity and ensure the future susainability of the builing"

Forming a sub-committee (you may need to do this in the role) of interested parties is key, having an open meeting from interested parties, and those in more established positions, local council representatives, community councilor, voluntary organisations who can support or advise on funding routes, people from community, Young Farmers, Plaid Cymru, & user of the building etc.

Deciding from this meeting who can offer time to meet on a regular basis to support the process to regenerate the building, whether these are repairs, usage and funding etc and forming a business plan with key tasks and who does what and timescales.

Complete minutes, a chair and secretary to influence others and services.

This may take some time to achieve, therefore you will need to establish you organisations objectives, and combine these with the building/project and sub-committee.

This can be a difficult process, and requires leadership, diplomacy, an awareness of other's agendas, also a positive and firm approach, enabling others to take on roles and you supporting, guiding and advising.

Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts