VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

So around the bottom of the windows on my barn doors I've got a decent amount of rust popping up. I tried treating it before but it came back pretty quickly. Obviously around the window it's hard to get right in there when sanding, so I guess that's why the rust came back so quickly.

Soooo, to sort it properly (not that you can without cutting and replacing the metal) I'm thinking I need to take the windows out, treat the rust, then put the windows back in.

I know you can remove them easily enough with cheese wire etc, but how much of a ball ache would it be to get them back in? Is it just a case of trimming away as much of the old bonding as possible and then applying new?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated... cheers!

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Hey,
we took our rear tailgate window out to treat small rust spots and get a good paint job underneath too. Really easy to put them back - assuming they are bonded in. Best bit of kit we bought was the suction cups for the glass. Good cheese wire is a great help to getting them out. Get a good fitting kit and don't skimp on it. It gonna hold the windows in after all.

Did it all in the street.

Good luck.

Goodomens.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Hi. Mine. Is the same. Yeah only way to do it is as you say. Get them out. Might be better off getting them refitted dy a windscreen fitter
Good luck

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's some great advice re the suction cups... any recomendations on a good fitting kit??

Appreciate the help!

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Hi Ojay,
yeah, we found it was money well spent. Make your life as easy as possible when you are doing something for the first time. Its not always easy. We bought Dinitrol window bonding kit from somewhere online. Think it came in a pack for two windows. Possibly around £20, but can't remember.

I think the most difficult part of fitting windows is the first time you fit one when it didn't exist before. Taking off and replacing is much easier. Just give yourself time to do it well and don't rush.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
I had mine done last year. I didn't bother putting the window surrounds back on and I reckon the windows look better without them. Also, you can keep an eye on the paintwork and spot any rust creeping back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts