VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking here for years and for the most part have found any answers I needed by searching the forum, but I haven't been able to find anything on this.

I've had my T4 for a decade or so, converted it myself to a camper and had the best times in it. Now I have a daughter I wanted to make it safer for her child seat, so bought a pull-tested bed, stripped out the interior and found...rust.

Most concerning is the C column. I've attached a photo f the top for you all to see - I recon there must be a crack in the seam sealer on the roof above it letting water in, but how would i go about fixing this? Looks very complicated to cut out and weld - is that even safe being structural?

This was hidden behing carpet lining for the last 10 years, so no idea how long it has been going on for, but I didn't ever notice any dampness there

I also need to do wheel arches, sills etc and am weighing up if it might be time to throw in the towel. Usual difficult trade off between time, money, family and a van I love

Any ideas on how to tackle the rust in the column would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would start by going postal, with angry grinder and wire wheel, to fully access the severity of the rot, then It's down to how easy you find, beating sheet metal into shape and welding it in. First priority to me would be the sills, as they are an mot fail.
Ttfn Glenn

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Damp van syndrome :*

Condensation maybe :*

There are a few bodypanel seams that can split but you'd have known about the amount of water ingress??

I've tried looking at your photo but there seems to be a forum issue :eek: is it the roof strengthening brace that has surface rust at its edges?

Rich.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Glenn and Rich - I feel like going postal!!

I've added a few more photos, but the forum has changed the rotation and I can't get it to go the right way up, no matter the orientation of the originals, so I've indicated which way they should display in the caption.

It definitely looks like the rust is coming out from behind / following the seams where various sheets meet.

Worst of it is where the roof brace (lengthways and sideways) meet the C post, coming forward from the void behind. There is some streaking which looks like water has followed the seam of the column down, and the seam itself has orange rust inside.

It seems like a pretty key are for structural integrity so am a bit nervous about cutting bits out, and although I'm getting much better with my little mig, the top portion looks pretty complicated. There is some flaked paintwork directly above the area, but I can't see any bubbling / obvious signs of rust from the outside (although admittedly I haven't done a thorough inspection)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, so I've poked around and the rust is definitely in the seams between the spot welds - bright orange powder.

So, is it possible (or worth it) to drill out the spot welds and prize the panels apart to try to treat / remove. Is there a better way?

Would a really thin cavity wax slow it down or make things work.

Really a bit stuck on this one!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts