VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My T5 has begun to rust under the doors along the sills behind the front tires. Currently the paint is beginning to peel away. What is the best way to prevent rusting? She is a great van and I want to keep her healthy for many years to come!

With that in mind, I am worried about driving on winter roads/coastal roads and the salt on the underside of the van. Does anyone do anything to prevent/protect against this salt or is this not worth worrying about?

Many thanks for any help given!

Tim

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hi, does it look like something has been rubbing / catching? This might have caused the rust to start. My left hand sliding door has corrosion on it but not the offside one. Worth getting it sorted if you’re planning on keeping your bus.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Live in Cornwall by the coast i surf kayak and mountain bike salt /wet /mud and lots of other debris under the van every day so a regular coat of waxoil to preserve it T:
Also own a 1956 split screen and a 1972 bay so know a thing or ten about preserving an old bus:D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the responses!

Nothing is catching- although I think the mud flap wasn't doing a great job on that side so excessive mud may have caused it? Will try and post a picture.

Thank you for the waxoil suggestion, I'll follow that route. Where can I get this from, and how do you apply it? :)

·
Special Rapporteur
9,765 Posts
Thank you for the waxoil suggestion, I'll follow that route. Where can I get this from, and how do you apply it? :)
The product name is Waxoyl, and Google will find suppliers and instructions. Other similar products are available, such as Dinitrol.

One of the problems with the design of the T5 is that both the undertrays and the wheel arch liners trap silt from road spray. It's a good idea to remove these every few years, clean out the mass of crud behind them and spray any surface rust you find.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts