VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what caused this? (Apart from 13 years of neglect! :eek:) I need to take the long thin panel off to check it out. I can see one screw inside the sliding door shut but there aren't any others at the other end. Is it hooked in at the back inside the tailgate perhaps? Any help much appreciated. T:

·
Special Rapporteur
9,766 Posts
There should be a fixing at the back too - on a tailgate model you have to remove the rear light cluster to access it. Not sure how it works with barn doors though.

I would guess that it's rusting around the clip-in fixings for the panel. These were revised in later years, so it would probably be worth buying a set of the new type. IIRC there are 5, but if you go to TPS they will tell you. The new type clip should reduce the tendency for rain to leak through and fill up the void behind the rear wheel.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, thanks for that. T: That panel has never been off so I guess it has the old style clips. Time to break out the T-Cut and see if I can rescue the paintwork.

·
Premium Member
993 Posts

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,166 Posts
I would probably use a "fallout" product on the paintwork first such as Autosmart Fallout, or Iron-X or Purple Rain - this is designed to remove metal and oxidisation from wheels and lower panels.

Looks like your T5 is trying to pretending to be a Sprinter Van with those streaks :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oddly enough it was ok around the clips. The rust is on the body behind the sliding door runner. I'm going to have to prop the door out of the way and remove the runner to get at all the rust. I'll probably carefully grind it back and treat it. It's well out of sight so I could even use oil or waxoyl.

You're right, it does look a bit like a Sprinter! :D :eek: It looks pretty fixable to me and not so bad for an '04 van. :)

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,166 Posts
FWIW, I find Hammerite Krust really good for stopping rust. Great when you have localised areas that are tricky to work on :)

Or get one of these ....
:D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just thought I'd wrap up this thread in case anyone else has the same problem.

When I got the sliding door runner off it looked pretty bad. :eek:

I had to use an angle grinder to clean it all up!

I treated it and (since it is out of sight) just used metal paint to finish it off.

You need to take the sliding door off to do this job. It takes two people to control the weight so you don't scratch anything. You take the long metal runner panel off first. You can pull this off once you have the two screws out. (if you have a camper this saves taking the inside out). Make sure your fingers span the clips when you pull so you don't damage it. The clips should let go or break. You have to fiddle panel out with the door three quarters closed. Best to use help and cloth to avoid any scratches.

The clips are available from VW or ebay. See this thread.

To remove the door-

Support the half open door (on blocks or a jack) and remove the two splined bolts on the bottom roller.
Lower the front of the door slightly so the top roller slips out.
Slide the door fully open so the roller slides round the curved section of the runner and off the end. You will need to help it but it goes. No need to unbolt any rollers except the lower one.

I sealed the black plastic cover with silicone. (Then started on the second sliding door!)

Thanks for your help guys :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts