VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys and girls.

I thought I would add a build thread in order that others can see what I'm doing, let me know what the think and to spur me into doing more work! I haven't tried anything like this before but it is something I have wanted for a while and it will help me get out and about with my kids more than I do now. Additionally, living in Lytham St Annes, with the lake District just up the road, it would be a shame not to explore it all.

I bought the van from Jol and Amy from Launceston at the end of March 2011. It has been well used and is in need of some TLC and a touch up here and there. The engine was originally a 1.9, which died on them somewhere in France I think, so it has been replaced with a 1.9 TD. The front doors and barn doors were replacements from a light blue van and Jol then took a roller with red oxide to it. As much as I like the colour, I will be changing it! The photos below are of the van how I got it.

Good points: Good engine and running gear, solid underneath, needing only a couple of weld patches, well loved and used, lowered, alloyed, sidebars and "A" bar.
Bad points, or stuff to fix: Rust spots, electrics, windscreen, window seals, door seals, tired dash and cockpit, remove and replace everything in the back, carpeting, insulation, ply-lining, bodywork and paint job. See below.....................

Rear left wheel arch, the only panel needing replacement.

Yes, the van has been ridden hard and put away wet, but I think it is worth saving and restoring. I also think I got a bit of a bargain and I am looking forward to getting stuck in and bringing it back to former glory. It will keep me out of the pub, at least.

Dave

:ILU:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Extra bits - went to see Toby at T4life and will be getting some carpet and ply from him (once outside is done) to make the back lovely, before getting some furniture and a RnR bed from him too.
Managed to pick up a belly pan from Sam in Redditch - cheers mate!
I've already run out of Kurust so need to buy bigger jar of it!

Ever forward!

Dave

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good luck with that mate - I've got a t4 caravelle, up the road in Blackpool, as my first t4 and looking forward to doing some work on it. Might get in touch for tips as the most technical thing I've ever done is put up a shelf.

·
Premium Member
3,763 Posts
Dave leave it well alone its one of the most individaul vans i ve seen nice not to see a shiney bling bling vanT:T:T:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would really love to, Toby, but with the bodywork that needs doing just to make the van solid and rust free, not to mention get the windows replaced, I'm going to have to change the colour. Rest assured, it will never be a bling van, it will be a workhorse!
At the moment, waiting for it to come back from service and some patch welding of the underside, then i will be clearing the back out to make my canvas blank.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Today was my first day off in ages, so it's time to clear out the van to make way for the new. Unfortunately, there are a couple of nasty surprises waiting for me, as you will see!

Before the carnage........

Start with the bed - completely wooden framed and weighs a ton. More screws than humanly possible.

Bed side all clear.....

....and that was all of that!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since I cleared that side, I had a rummage to see what the wheel arches were like under the carpet. I wish I hadn't!

Holy rusted metal, Batman! The inner lip of the arch is completely borked. I will see to what extent tomorrow when I get the side ply off. After a bit of a downer for 10 mins, it's time to clear the units out.

As you can see, bit of a bodge job to fit kitchen units into a van. Again, held together with loads of screws and weighed a ton.

After ripping the units out, I find that the sink unit base is rotted. Now this really worries me, as it could be that the pipe from the sink is blocked and has spread through the ply, and rusted the bejeebus out of the floor. Won't find out until tomorrow when I get the floor up. :eek:

Now I have a blank(ish) canvas........

....and all of this goes to the dump tomorrow.

I'm now really worried about finding more rust! :(

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Looking on the bright side, you will have a solid van when finishedT:

So many people just go in like a bull in a china shop converting with all the new bling and dont bother getting the basics done.

There some pics in my album of my rear inner arch repairs. Couldnt get repair panel so used sheet metal bent to shape.
Can be long process but stick at it and you will be driving her for many trouble free yearsT:

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
In a warped way, I actually miss uncovering all those hidden horrors and putting them right. It takes me back to working on customers Stags and TR7s all those years ago.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the positive support! I think it will be a lot stronger and I will be more confident when it's done. Popping outside in the next hour to get the sides off and see just how much welding will have to happen.
If you guys ever want to visit with some welding kit, I will supply the beer..... I:

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,763 Posts
dave just got a couple of ex mobility t4 s in, s reg twin sliders friesein green factory windows well maintained £2400 each might be cheaper than doing yours just an idea i ll be working tomorrow if your aboutT:T:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Right then.

Got the ply boards off the sides to have a look at what's what.
The left hand side ain't too good.........

Looks pretty all round. There isn't much holding the wheel arch on, to be honest. May be better to replace the whole thing.

Also the area around the window is a bit borked - needs some treatment.

Looks like too much sealant or a patch job with no rust protection.

Right hand side, much better, but still with snags.

Bit of a patch job here, but not much but not too great either.... :(

What's this in the B pillar?

Certainly was a surf wagon :D

More holes to fix.

So, in summary,
Needs new left wheel arch, inner and outer, new outer panel, rust treatment before windows can be sorted.
Right wheel arch fine, but a bit of patching needed and new outer panel. Most of the damage seems to be caused by screwing straight into the metal and not rust protecting.
That is a lot of work and I haven't even opened the right forward panel where I know there is rust from an ill fitting window waiting for me.

Have I bitten off more than I can chew?

Dave

·
Registered
41 Posts
Got some work on ur hands there dave:eek:...wasnt sure what i was gonna find under my panels and floor when i started mine,being an ex garderners van i was expecting some bad rust from damp or wet grassy tools and mowers and whatever else they use,but was happy to find just a few spots where the screws had gone in thru the floor to secure the ply..the one thing i have battled with is spiders! 8 legged freaks found there way into every nook and cranny,thank goodness for henry hoover,lol:D....good luck with ur build dave!

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
wow, tinworm loves your van, thats from driving on beaches when the tides in,
are you off to machine mart to get a mig, I:
how long is it before you have to mot the van again
it was goood of t4life to tell you bout vans, twin sliders and green

theres one thing, you will get good at welding but a shell would be handy to cut the bits out of, and it makes you wonder how many vans are roaming about in the same need of repair but the conversion is covering up all the bad,
the pic were youve put about to much sealant, that looks like filler to me, prob to cover a hole in the past,

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If I was a dab hand with a mig, I would already have one! MOT not due until Jan but I'm shocked that it got through the last one - all hiding under the carpets and sealed underside. I could certainly use a doner shell and there is the positive notion that it will be solid with nothing bad hidden when I am done.
Stop tempting me with shiny vans - it will make me want to trade up :D
Also need to find a friendly welder that can be paid in enthusiastic assistance and beer!
Dave

·
Premium Member
3,763 Posts
tuesday a m no probs if you want one of these you can have one for 2200 you know me dave i only do it for love ,no being honest by them time you ve welded £400 then a paint job £1200 and the many hours of work £10 per hour you could have one of these, take your best bits off yours then put yours on ebay some one will give you 500 for a donor engine and box ,your quids in and will only be off the road a day while you swap your bits T:T:T:T:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts