VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one experienced rusting around the handles on there vans and had VW repair them. My van has rust appearing around the side door handles and also rust on the rear doors. VW have agreed to repair the rear doors but not the side as they say it is a mechanical fault. Also does anyone know if the mechanical fault causing the rusting has been rectified on the new vans.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This happened to the paint around the handle of my side sliding door of my 05 T5.

I got a guy to put a nicely shaped piece of carbon over the chipped paint rather than re-spraying the whole door only for the same to happen again. it looks tidy enough.

·
Registered
242 Posts
VW (Heron in Newark) have repaired my side passenger door under warranty about 14 months or so ago the rust is back on this door and now the drivers side is also starting to corrode. Their warranty man was out this week - clearly they will repair the passenger door again-as they now own the warranty (unlucky for something which seems to be a design fault) Pictures have been taken of the drivers and will be submitted to VW HQ warranty. I will keep you updated

YBW

·
Registered
776 Posts
My 2008 model goes in this week for the same fault!!! Rust on the passenger sliding door?
Trying to think of a way of stopping it happening again as the VW man says the handle catches! You think VW would have addressed this, Modded handle etc!!!!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
My 2006 T5 has rust around the sliding door handle too, it also has a couple of small rust blisters around the rear arches and on the tailgate.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The rust is not on the handle on my T5 but it is on the sill of the sliding door.
I bought my T5 lwb 2005 in January this year and noticed there was no rust at all. Recently i noticed rust apperaing quite quickly underneath the sliding door sill. I took it to the bodyshop , called there today and he says there has been work done there before regaiding rust. He showed me the sill and it was in two pieces welded together but not bodged and he thought why wasnt it welded in one piece . Could this be a weak point for the rust and how is the water coming in because i dont want it to happen again. It just concerns that its on the same side as ur handles :ILU:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Yes mines rusting on the sill underneath the sliding door, but only because of poor accident repair. Seems its had a sliding door at some time in its life and the sill repaired and painted, but no stonechip was used on the sill so its chipped and rusted quite badly. I'm on it today between spraying my bumpers white, going to use Hammerite Kurust which gets good reports then filler primer, stonechip white, then top coat white over the top.
Need to tidy it up as the bumpers will be ready tomorrow complete with bigally sportline front spoiler so want it to look good.:D

Gary

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi again, just had my camper back from the spray shop , they did a exellent job but it all comes with a price but it was money well spent :). You cannot tell thats its been sprayed. I just going to keep on eye on the sliding doors sill incase theres a water pocket appears and causes rust for the 3rd time:* .The spoiler definatly looks the part. Just needs side bars and mud flaps as i would hate to get them scratched.How you getting on with spraying your bumpers :ILU:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same problem on both sliding doors on 05 Kombi (now a camper). Going to attempt own repair - are there any details anywhere about how to remove handle? Has anybody done this and how did it go? Did you replace with same handle or the modded one from VW? Thanks

Just tidied up some early rusting at very bottom of tailgate so keep an eye down there. Lots of salt on roads up here in Scotland.

·
Registered
474 Posts
interior panel off, grub screw on right of handle mechanism, static bit of handle the pulls off from outside, rest of handle slide sideways and out.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I've noticed a couple of places on our '06 after giving it a good clean at the weekend - there's a bit of bubbling on the driver's side slider (Caravelle) in front of the handle. Sounds like what's being described here

There's a good amount of chips on the bottom of the tailgate that have started. Probably previous owner's wearing rings

Then there's a worrying bit on the passenger's sill, underneather the rubber seal - the seal has a small split (about 1") that's not easily spotted, then there's a bit underneath there that looks quite bad..

·
Registered
10 Posts
interior panel off, grub screw on right of handle mechanism, static bit of handle the pulls off from outside, rest of handle slide sideways and out.
Thanks a lot for help Wiganlatic - had a look. For completeness (and others reading this) the T20 grub screw only needs loosening and then pushing in to slide the metal catch across. This then releases the static end.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I've noticed a couple of places on our '06 after giving it a good clean at the weekend - there's a bit of bubbling on the driver's side slider (Caravelle) in front of the handle. Sounds like what's being described here

There's a good amount of chips on the bottom of the tailgate that have started. Probably previous owner's wearing rings

Then there's a worrying bit on the passenger's sill, underneather the rubber seal - the seal has a small split (about 1") that's not easily spotted, then there's a bit underneath there that looks quite bad..
I have this problem on my driver's door sill. Seal has split, rust everywhere underneath :(

·
Registered
364 Posts
I had the paintwork around the sliding door handle repaired under warranty this time last year. The dealer said it was a mechanical problem caused by the design of the handle. I was told there was a newly designed handle which cures this problem and they fitted it whilst doing the work. Washed the van at the weekend and it's blistering again in the same place. The vans out of warranty now but the repair should still be covered so I'm back off to see them.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I have this problem on my driver's door sill. Seal has split, rust everywhere underneath :(
I feel a bit silly, I got some rust treatment gel to put on mine - when I looked it was the steel spine of the rubber seal that was rusting, and not the bodywork after all I:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts