VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, the old vanimal was starting to look its age, a dint here, a scrape there and scratches everywhere. She looked OK from a distance but the graphics on her were there to hide problems.

After a lot of research I decided on using the old air cooled trick of a ROLLER :eek: paint job in rustoleum.

I know many have gone before me, but i thought i'd do a photo thread of how it works. I've taken 2 weeks off running up to bugjam and that has to be the deadline.

I've learned from experience that preparation is the key to any bodywork so i set aside 3 days for this.

Day 1

From this

To this

The interior came out

Day 2

Rubbing down started in earnest, with the shine being taken off all the top coat. Then i targeted all the rust, panel by panel.

If you are thinking of doing anything like this do not underestimate just how long this process takes, (I'm knackered already lol)

Day 3

More rubbing down, and i started to get obsessed with every bit of filler, making sure it is bob on.

Drafted in a couple of mates to help me out...

And finally, at 5 o'clock on day 3, the 1st coat of paint goes on. Its Rustoleum RAL 2000 orange.

I mixed 750ml of paint to 250 ml of white spirit and mixed it very slowly to prevent bubbles. I then used a small gloss roller and started putting it on. There are a lot of air bubbles at first but as you go over it again and again they disappear. The key seems to be constantly backtracking over the bit you've just done to catch drips and get rid of the bubbles. I've only done the one corner at the mo but i'm getting a full first coat on tomorrow.A:

I'll keep you all posted!

Cheers
Paul:cool:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Brave man....A:A:A:... should look different when done, nice 1...

I shall be keeping an eye on this ...T:.

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
:eek: I've sky+'d a series link to this thread - I'm gonna lose sleep I know I am!

The man from Blackpool has BIG Kahunas A:

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Don't paint the tailgate, I've just seen something in it, is it a sign, should we all be buying lots of gold jewellery and pitying fools and don't even think about gettin on no plane sucker.

That's right, in the picture of the tailgate with a cloth on the wiper you can clearly see B. A. Baracus's face just to the left of the cloth.

It's a miracle I:

Oh, good luck with the paintjob T:.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Don't paint the tailgate, I've just seen something in it, is it a sign, should we all be buying lots of gold jewellery and pitying fools and don't even think about gettin on no plane sucker.

That's right, in the picture of the tailgate with a cloth on the wiper you can clearly see B. A. Baracus's face just to the left of the cloth.

It's a miracle I:

Oh, good luck with the paintjob T:.

Well spotted... T:....LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:...

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that mr t thing is a bit freaky, maybe i should paint it black and grey with a red stripe....LOL:

·
Registered
218 Posts
I can even see him pointing too . . . . . . . . :D

Well done that man tho, as has been said, Big Kahunas, so fair play to you. Hope the weather holds and it all goes well buddy, I'll be keepin an eye on this one........

Mike

·
RIP
1,381 Posts
I heard RAL Orange fades to AA yellow in a week!

(just joshing) seriously good luck, and I will follow with interest. I have the Rustoleum paint chart here waiting. So glad to see a pioneer try it, its inspiring.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Good luck mate.
After reading quite a few threads on this rustoleum wish I had give this a go instead of paying some idiot £450 to mess it up.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
what grit paper are you using for prep and treating rust with? kurust? vactan?
I'm using a 400 grit to start with, 600 after the 3rd coat and a 1500 after the 6th. Then i'm doing a cutting compound after a couple of days followed by a wax finish.

I'm using a rust treatment from a local motor factors, cant remember which one, i'll post it up tomorrow.

Cheers for the positive wishes guys, i hope it turns out ok, anyone going to bugjam can judge for themselves lol.....

·
Registered
307 Posts
good luck buddy - im prepping mine at the moment, lots of cleaning and sanding and rust killing/preventing/proofing - no major bits just lots of annoying bits!

Have loads of 800 wet n dry for between coats and was planning on using 360 before paint so should be good! Will be keeping and eye on your progress and post mine as soon as i start!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Day 4 in the big brother garage lol

A bit more rubbing down and a lot of time painting. This took me 6 hours today. It seems to make a massive difference if you keep rollering over the previous bits. It removes the bubbles and makes the finish a lot smoother.

Made the mistake of trying to do some of the painting outside but it was too warm and the paint was setting too quickly for me to be able to flatten it down.

I'm already seeing the benefit of this paint. The gloss on the finish is looking good after the 1st coat.....

The plan for tomorrow is 2nd coat and a bit of a rubdown with 1200 wet and dry on the bits the flies and dirt have fallen on........

Cheers
Paul:cool:

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I've used Rustoleum before with a roller and got quite good results. In fact the only person who will probably have a moan will be uncle Ken or Harry who will claim to have been able to do it in half the time or ask why you bothered.
My tip would be to let your final coat fully harden before you buff it it. Trust me, its worth the wait.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts