VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been seeing good things from the aircooled sites about vehicles painted with rustoleum paint WITH A ROLLER! It looks like you can paint a whole van for well under a hundred quid.:confused:

I have to say i'm tempted. i believe the VW action 2008 best beetle prize went to one painted in this way, and i have to say it looks bob on.

Anyone here have any experience in using it?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've read that thread on the t25 forum, theres some really good threads on volkzone too.

I think i'm going to go for it. Anyone know any suppliers in Lancashire?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Done mine, well recomended. Top stuff. The whole trick is to get the paint at the right consticancy. Wheeler dealers did a t25. Ckeck out youtube. Also called combicolour.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Done mine, well recomended. Top stuff. The whole trick is to get the paint at the right consticancy. Wheeler dealers did a t25. Ckeck out youtube. Also called combicolour.
Any pics of your van for inspiration mate?

·
Registered
349 Posts
nice..lets see one done then. If blackpool needs a hand one no wind day I will be happy to learn how to do it on your van!!..lol

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nice..lets see one done then. If blackpool needs a hand one no wind day I will be happy to learn how to do it on your van!!..lol
hmmmm, not sure about that one lol. You're welcome to come and watch me make a hash of it tho.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Homebase sell it in smaller tins and aerosols, in some nice shades...

Just sprayed an old swing in Sage Green gloss (shhh! don't tell Ahay) - a nice fine spray with excellent coverage - better than Smoothrite and Plasti-kote, I reckon.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Think i might try this - wanted to paint the van anyway but just had some bad luck with an uninsured hit and run driver who gave himself up next day... So now need money for repairs instead of paintjob - but obviously need paint job as well!

Watch this space...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not heard of this method before but surely its a simple principle...

1) Put on more paint depth than you actually need by using a roller instead of spray.
2) Flatten the surface back to a smooth finish using wet and dry... just like if you had sprayed it.

There will be less prep time as you are not having to deal with primer and the dreaded overspray!!! but its not really any different to spraying though, its just quicker to get the colour on the van but then the rubbing back will take a LOT longer... if you see what i mean?

Nice idea if you don't mind hours of cutting the surface back. You'll save £££s in paint too

·
Registered
103 Posts
Paint came yesterday :D sanding will start tomorrow :D 1st coat done by the weekend hopefully, i read that you should leave the paint for a week for it to fully set ? before flatting back, so it's gunna take about a month to be completely finished :eek:

·
Registered
683 Posts
Ordered mine this morning. Two colours on the way to me as we speak! I: Can't wait for my days off so I can get started, bet you it'll p**s down now! LOL:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey guys,

This is the thread on volkszone that convinced me to do it

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=413364&highlight=rustoleum

This bug wins best everyday beetle at last years vw action and looks great. The technique is 3 coats of paint followed by a rub back, 3 more and a rub back then cutting compound and polish. He only gives 24 hours between coats and the result is stunning.

BTW they will mix any colour you want, i'm getting a 1967 porsche 911 peppermint colour made up for mine.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Painted mine yesterday , initially all looked fine, bit too much paint here n there but i wasn't expecting anything amazing, first try n all.

Checked the van this morining though......Gloss black paint i put on....it looks like matt now it has dried :confused:

Hopefully it will shine up after a few more coats with flatting and a good polish at the end.....hopefully.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The key seems to be not putting it on too thick, getting a good number of coats on then rubbing it back. Do that a couple of times then buff the hell out of it with rubbing compound and polish.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The paint went funny on mine, due to condensation :(

so always paint in the morning to allow the paint time to dry before night.

I painted mine late afternoon and so the paint was still not dry before the temperature dropped :(

So at the moment it looks terrible, but a few more coats on the weekend and a good rub back and final coat should bring it out ok.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts