VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to sort my van rust patches out before they get too bad. :(

My plan is to rub them back to bare metal with a wire brush in a drill – body fill if required
Then paint them up again. ;)
I would like to stick with the current blue sills, but could go to black as I will be adding side bars in the summer - but most importantly I don’t want the rust to return. So what paints should I use and any brands to go for / avoid ?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Question is where does the mosit creating the rust come from
Inside or outside?
U can paint it up all nice from the outside which would do you no good if the car is rusting inside out:*
There are a number of chemicals that can be applied to convert rust into "something solid"
I assume it isn`t in a state requirng steel repacement

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. Thanks for the reply.

The rust is in a weld line/crease (I think this is the rear of the front arch metalwork).
It looks just like the drips off the bottom of the door have fallen onto this panel and turned the paintwork black.
But on closer inspection I would say it's rust under the paint.....

You have given me a lot to think about, but I am unsure how to check if the water is on the inside of the panel.
As fas as I am aware the inner sills are all very clean and newly waxed. I mot'd the van a week ago and the inspector never mentioned anything to worry me. ???

·
Registered
356 Posts
if you look up the name frost automotive (think thats the name )they have some good solutions for sorting rust, also have you lifted your inner foot steps ,to see if any rust under neath them, mine was full of cack and surface rust,sorted now,i also peel the door rubber off and give that a good clean ,hope some of this may help you:*

1 - 4 of 4 Posts