VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i'm in a position to be able to replace the stock exhaust with a stainless steel system all the way through on a 2.5 tdi 01 van but unsure as to remove the cat?the guy says it will pass the mot no probs and that he has done loads for t4 with no worries.he also said it de ristricts it slightly? other people have warned i may get caught out on emissions.
any advice gratefully recieved!
cheers

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Get it gone. A:

Emissions are smoke test only.

It costs the environment more to make the cat than it saves in emissions. It’s a pure gimmick on a diesel.*

Sam.

* This statement is based on pure personal opinion and has no proven scientific base. It just makes me feel better every time I start my van up. I:

·
Registered
643 Posts
its a particulate filter - not a cat, depends on the milage as to how blocked it is and thus how much more power you need to make to push the exhaust gases through it. if you have ever cleaned out the egr then imagine that gunk in a honeycomb type filter fitted further down the exhaust

bin it and free the horsepower ( a petrol engine will gain 10 - 20 hp by removing a cat plus a noticable increase in mpg! i can only guess the figures will be the same in a diesel )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts