VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 452 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had my Gaz shocks on the van for only 2-3 months, but had no end of issues with them, could never get them adjusted properly, each setting wasn't the same on each shock and when I did get them set up ok the settings would change after a weeks driving!, I wasn't convinced on the ride quality and handling from day 1, but I assumed that's the best I am going to get in a van.
Comparing the Gaz to my original shocks which have done 100k (Fitted at factory) the Gaz did seem a tiny bit better.

Then I noticed when adjusting one shock there was oil all over it, also both front boots had fallen down!, looking all around the van at all shocks they were really rusty too! considering they have only been on there for 5 minutes that's not a good start.

I popped to Euro Car Parts earlier and bought a set of Sachs HD Supertouring with trade discount.

Finished fitting these about an hour ago and looks alone impressed me, seriously thick body with proper bushes which make the Gaz look like toys.

Couldn't wait to drive it, as soon as I got off the drive it felt different, there was no crashy feeling going over the tiny drop in the pavement. Took the van for a half hour drive and all I can say is WOW!.

I was bracing myself taking bends slowly as previously I would roll around in my seat (I just fitted Audi TT seats to counteract this), but it didn't happen!, took a few corners, roundabouts, twistys and the van just stayed put with no roll whatsoever!... On to the motorway, expecting it to be bouncy and crashy as before, it felt like what I can describe as a magic carpet, just floated up the M4, changing lanes felt more responsive, braking felt better.

Then on the way back drove on some rough road and a few speed ramps, no crashing, no bouncing.

These combined with Eibach rear springs is just the perfect combination in my mind, however I am yet to experience the B6 Bilstein.

Bang for buck these cannot be beaten, very happy T:

Must give a big thank you to Terryhighvoltage for going out of his way to pop down and bring me a bolt I was missing to put the rear one on (Gaz use different bolts and lost one of my originals)

Also a big thank you to a certain retailer on here for sorting my issues with Gaz, If you want to be named drop me a PM and I'll put your name here.

·
Registered
799 Posts
T:just what i wanted to hear, i was in two minds between b4's and gaz. but i dont think b4.s are much if any stiffer than factory, and im not being funny but 90% of reports ive read about gaz are bad. be it leaking or poor mounting hardware or struggling with settings. ill be getting my sachs as soon as funds allow!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Just been looking at these on eurocarparts website but not sure which one's are the best to go for as they list 2 for the front and 2 for the rear.

Don't suppose you have the part numbers?

·
Registered
724 Posts
I concour that the GAZ i have are poo! Boots fallen away, bushes worn out, adjustment is a joke, but the corrosion is terrible. Aurora beat me to the Sachs HD, curse you and your shiney van, lol.

Hopefully have mine sorted by end of the month, at the end of the day we own vans and adjustable shocks are not the best things in the world for a van, but each to there own.

·
Bercow fan club
10,250 Posts
Been saying this for a while lads...

best shocks i have fitted to a van....i would go as far to say as these fell better than the billie b6's..
Not experienced these, but if they're better than the Eibach/Bilstein B6 set up I have on my bus they're must be fantastic as I am well impressed with mine. I'll let you have a try sometime :D

·
Registered
724 Posts
Been saying this for a while lads...

best shocks i have fitted to a van....i would go as far to say as these fell better than the billie b6's..
What we talked about ther other day mate, as soon as i get my refund sorted i am buying and fitting the Sachs!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Part numbers:

Front, Sachs part number: 105 819
Rear, Sachs part number: 105 820

Mine are badged Sachs and Made in Germany, you can also get these shocks under Boge in other stores (Same manufacturer ZF) but no idea if they are also made in Germany.

Fit and forget, no tweaking and no worrying :)

Really would love to drive or have a ride in a T4 with billy B6's now.

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
Not experienced these, but if they're better than the Eibach/Bilstein B6 set up I have on my bus they're must be fantastic as I am well impressed with mine. I'll let you have a try sometime :D
eibach and billie b6 excellent setup.nothing better mate

sachs are a different feel of shock...nice firm,but smooth ride...tailered with the eibachs...spot on i would say...

fitted these sachs onto a van the other day with a yr old set of 60mm cmc hd springs (the ones we should not talk...I:..Rasp:)

could not believe the ride...nicest van i drove in a long time...

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Yes did all 4, £240

They come with all bushes but missing the 2 rear bottom bushes, VW only part so had to go to TPS.
Thats a LOT cheaper than I'm seeing, am I missing something?

Also - do you have details on the rear busshes that will need to be purchased from VW..?

Thanks!

Ben

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks.. Sorry to be a spoon - I'm on their site, Front+Backs in the HD version comes to £338.40 - Whats this 'code' you mention, I've clearly missed something!
SERVICE25 is the code I think...
I only got them for £240 as I have a trade account.

Will dig out the part numbers for rear bushes.

Item 5, you need 4x, your old ones may be okay though:

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
eibach and billie b6 excellent setup.nothing better mate

sachs are a different feel of shock...nice firm,but smooth ride...tailered with the eibachs...spot on i would say...

fitted these sachs onto a van the other day with a yr old set of 60mm cmc hd springs (the ones we should not talk...I:..Rasp:)

could not believe the ride...nicest van i drove in a long time...
why thankyou I:

completely agree with all of the above, had them on a week now, and i'm using the van more than my car at the minute, love the drive now. so stable, no bounce from the front end and as mentioned, comfortable when cruising. :ILU:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Nice find! I really need to get myself some of these when funds allow.

I always fancied a Seikel kit but daft money and I don't need the sprngs or raisers.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Just been looking on eurocarparts and it states the fronts are to be used with a standard chassis and the rears a lowered chassis....:confused::confused:

Surely you would want lowered chassis front and rear if lowered.....

:confused::confused:

1 - 20 of 452 Posts