VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

401 - 420 of 452 Posts

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
You say you run very light most of the time? Would it be fair to say that your multivans standard kerbweight is a fair bit heavier then a standard T4 panel van with the extra seating, carpeting, buddy seats, insulation, etc?

Do all T4s have ARBs of some thickness or other? (and both front and rear if so?)
Hi Hoovie

Yes these days, it's just my toy, so most of the time it's just little old me (well old is correct but at 127.5Kg not sure about little) in it!

The Multivan ULW is 1945Kg, so yes, the B2B seats, and bed seat, ply floor, carpet, sound proofing and plastic trim obviously add weight over a basic shell. Quite how much I really do not know.

My front ARB is just standard 23mm, which is fine, 27mm is an option but it is 1.8990 times stiffer.

Rear ARB is standard on few models only, the factory option for mine (which I do not have) is 26mm, 28mm is an option, but again that is 1.3450times stiffer. As you can see, changing ARB's can have a huge effect on the handling and suspension characteristics. A heavy rear ARB can induce quite a lot of oversteer on a front wheel drive vehicle too :eek:

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,083 Posts
Ah, so they are not shorter shocks for lowered vans, just would be partly compressed on an already-lowered van? (Because the description says "for lowered vans", I assumed they are different to ones suitable for standard vans)
So these shocks - with the quoted part numbers - would work fine on a normal-height T4 then? Do you supply these? (If so, please PM with price T:)

Thanks

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hoovie, just to stick my 2p worth in. I run the same interior set up as you. I spent a lotof timelooking at shocks and springs and all other mannor of options. I re bushed the front end of my van and went for the 27mm front anti roll bar at the front and 26mm at the rear. (I got them from vw, cheaper than aftermarket) I run sachs standard shocks and they cope really well, i think the hd shocks would be a little to harsh for the weight carried in the van.

·
8,083 Posts
Hoovie, just to stick my 2p worth in. I run the same interior set up as you. I spent a lotof timelooking at shocks and springs and all other mannor of options. I re bushed the front end of my van and went for the 27mm front anti roll bar at the front and 26mm at the rear. (I got them from vw, cheaper than aftermarket) I run sachs standard shocks and they cope really well, i think the hd shocks would be a little too harsh for the weight carried in the van.
Interesting :)
Too many options, not enough knowledge (me, I mean :D )
I have fitted a towbar and will occasionally pull a trailer (max weight 750kg) so I thought HD might be handy in that respect? But 99.9% of the time, will be trailerless.
I have HD Springs on the back currently (chosen in readiness for towbar use) and that is probably more relevant then HD Shocks?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Personally i would say you dont even require hd rear springs as your interior is a lot lighter than what your van was intended to carry. I'm actually using vw sharan rear springs, the lower approx 20mm max and have a weight limit of 1350kg. They are also progressively wound like eibach springs.

·
8,083 Posts
I had poor quality lowering springs on and needed (& wanted) to go normal height with my new AT Tyres . Just went for the cheapest springs from ECP that were for the T4 - happy at the price at £12.60 each A:

End of the day, it's a van with about 60BHP so not looking to spend many hundreds of quid to to get ultimate handling. Safe, predicatable and comfortable would be the target really T:

·
Registered
529 Posts
I agree with you there, comfortable and predictble is what i wanted to.
The missus finds it comfy and is happy to travel in it, so i guess i have acomplished that.
It still crashes a bit on rough roads, but it is a van. On a roads and motorways, its quiet and stable with very little roll.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Fitted Sachs HDs yesterday (swb van lowered 40mm, balljoints and bushes, drop links etc all new recently) but they don't feel any better than the original shocks! Maybe the van isn't heavy enough to let them work their magic. Should've done my homework but it was such a good price I thought sod it. It is a lightweight conversion I guess. Ah well, it might improve whenever we load it up to go camping or collect firewood, unfortunately most of the time it's empty apart from the fittings. Thought being lowered would be enough to warrant using Sachs HDs. At least it's not a worse ride and it's all shiny under there now I:
I'm surprised how close the front bumpstops are to the arms though, even lowered by just 40mm! Only seems about a finger's width between. Is that right?

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Anyone know the part number of the rear lower bushes that are best to buy to go with the new shocks? Or is calling VW and saying "I need 4 lower bushes for the rear shock absorber" enough to get the right part? (Plus quoting your VIN of course :D)
That's the way to do it T:

·
Registered
945 Posts
Had these on a couple of weeks now, and yes, they are better than the originals (I'm lowered 40mm ish). Been on a lot more different roads since fitting and there's definitely less fear of bumping over the bigger road imperfections. It's a sporty feeling firm ride, but I got that as soon as I lowered it anyway. Definitely good and flat going fast round tight bends / quick changes in direction. Still haven't tried them out with van loaded up but will look forward to that when the time comes. Definitely a bargain for four beefy well made shocks (using SKS with discount code). T:

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Had these on a couple of weeks now, and yes, they are better than the originals (I'm lowered 40mm ish). Been on a lot more different roads since fitting and there's definitely less fear of bumping over the bigger road imperfections. It's a sporty feeling firm ride, but I got that as soon as I lowered it anyway. Definitely good and flat going fast round tight bends / quick changes in direction. Still haven't tried them out with van loaded up but will look forward to that when the time comes. Definitely a bargain for four beefy well made shocks (using SKS with discount code). T:
As I may have said before they are epic with a load .............. been using them over 16 years T: A:

·
8,083 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just fitted 2x Sachs at the rear and was surprised at the length of them. I took off a pair of knackered GMax shocks and had to jack the van up a good few inches to get the wheel back on as the trailing arm is a lot lower down. The Sachs shocks are about 1.5 inches longer than the GMax taken off.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Don't forget that a full set of HD shocks (front and rear) still available to forum members for £156.37... With the use of the forum discount code. VWT4FORUM

Front
http://www.skscarparts.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=118639&search=105+819

Rear
http://www.skscarparts.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=118640&search=105+820

Just click on the red shopping cart and view cart to add discount code.

All in stock so next day delivery available.

Contact us if you have any questions or queries.

WANAPART \ SKSCARPARTS

·
Registered
119 Posts
Do ANYONE hold them better than the red KONI ??? Obliged for any feedback as I am changing now before MOT.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Just taken delivery of a set of vogtland 40mm springs but will need some shortened dampers so think I will go with these. My van will be lugging all my electricians gear around so will have a bit of load in the back. Just need to try and unseize the front torsion bar nuts. Wish me luck peeps :D

401 - 420 of 452 Posts