VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

441 - 452 of 452 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sachs fitted

what a difference they have made this thread was the decider over the blistien. I fitted h&r springs at the same time
I have more of a hot rod look now though. rear is 2cm higher than the front

thank you op

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Re: Sachs fitted

what a difference they have made this thread was the decider over the blistien. I fitted h&r springs at the same time
I have more of a hot rod look now though. rear is 2cm higher than the front

thank you op
They get better with some miles under your belt, been on them over 19 years now; you won't need to wait that long though LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
anyone bought these recently and got a working link to the correct parts on BMF and/ or SKS websites ? or wherever it's best to get them from. thanks T:

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Unlowered comparison:Standard VW shocks vs Sachs HD

Just wanted to update this, for those of you considering these Sachs HD shocks.
(Advance apologies I have not reread all the newer posts since)

I finally took the plunge and bought a set (prices had gone way up since first posting on this thread) and had them fitted a couple of months back.

My van is a t4 2002 2.5tdi, with a full camper conversion, so has put on a few pounds. He’s not fat, he’s festively plump.

I have not lowered the van and it was on its original vw shocks all round.
The original shocks had a lot of perishing in the bushings.
The original ride was excellent, both high and low speed, it seemed to float over everything.
On the downside the body roll was epic and cornering required careful planning, much like a boat.

New shocks all round (ride height the same)

Noticed the expansion joints on the motorway now had a more elastic feel when hoping over.
Low speed ride is worse, maybe all the small imperfections were being filtered by the softer OE shocks, the worn bushings or both. This is not painful, but I am aware of the difference and does make a difference to comfort if you are doing lots of town/city driving.
Body roll, while still existing, is a fraction of what it was, encouraging you to push on harder through corners.
Downside: Note to self, when pushing van harder through corners, ensure dometic fridge is secured correctly, or it becomes an expensive projectile. This wasn’t an issue with the old suspension, as I wouldn’t have dared push as much!

Shock part numbers for those unsure (there is a cheaper version that isn’t the same, don’t think those are uprated)
I bought these from BMF, price included VAT and delivery in April this year. At the time they were way cheaper than anyone else, as the shocks seemed to have jumped up in price

ZF105819 £43.49 each
ZF105820 £46.75 each

In conclusion, I had been concerned that as the van was not lowered, the handing would not be improved significantly. Most of the threads I remember reading had lowered their vans to some degree, so wasn’t sure it would work for me. I am pleased to say that the handling is much improved, with the trade off being poorer low speed ride. The van is still comfortable, but has lost the low speed float.
The shocks look really well made and beefy. I’ll try and post some pics in my profile, so you can see. Hope this is useful to someone! If you are in my area (Fleet Hampshire) and considering upgrading, you are welcome to come over for a cuppa and I can take you for a spin!

441 - 452 of 452 Posts