VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had my H&R -40mm springs on for just over a year now and found the ride quite harsh. After reading posts on here i realise it's probably the standard VW shocks not suited to the springs. So after further reading on here I'm led to believe the best replacement shocks are either the Bilstein B8s or the Sachs Super touring. Ideally I'm after a more comfortable and pliant ride. My van is the family runaround and doesn't really lug heavy loads except when we tow the caravan.

So what's the preference out of the 2 shock choices is recommended? And wheres the best place to get a good deal on either? I know I can get the B8s from Chillijam Vans for £439

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've had my H&R -40mm springs on for just over a year now and found the ride quite harsh. After reading posts on here i realise it's probably the standard VW shocks not suited to the springs. So after further reading on here I'm led to believe the best replacement shocks are either the Bilstein B8s or the Sachs Super touring. Ideally I'm after a more comfortable and pliant ride. My van is the family runaround and doesn't really lug heavy loads except when we tow the caravan.

So what's the preference out of the 2 shock choices is recommended? And wheres the best place to get a good deal on either? I know I can get the B8s from Chillijam Vans for £439
I can't comment on the exact shocks you have but I can comment on the Bilstein B6 with H&R shocks. I have come from the standard shocks and lowered factory spec Caravelle springs made by Eibach and can say that the new setup is a vast improvement on the original specification with regards harshness. On poor roads it is still a bit crashy but I don't get the constant banging of the original setup. Yes the original suspension had done 250k but the new stuff is OK. Damping on the Bilsteins firm, but it is controlling the sportier springs better.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts