VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, are there any suppliers of child safety nets for rood beds on here, or any advice from other members on recommended suppliers?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I asked the same when I was getting my roof fitted.

The best I could find was HERE

However I haven't bothered in the end. Guess it depends on how old your children are; mine are 8 & 4 and we've had no issues. As children are short they can sleep further down the roof bed, therefore less chance of pillows etc falling over the edge.

If I was going to do anything I would probably make a slim L shaped board to slot in front of the bed board to further close the gap and provide a 'barrier' to bits sliding off.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I asked the same when I was getting my roof fitted.

The best I could find was HERE

However I haven't bothered in the end. Guess it depends on how old your children are; mine are 8 & 4 and we've had no issues. As children are short they can sleep further down the roof bed, therefore less chance of pillows etc falling over the edge.

If I was going to do anything I would probably make a slim L shaped board to slot in front of the bed board to further close the gap and provide a 'barrier' to bits sliding off.
Thanks for your advice, my little'uns are 9 and 3 and my little girl is a bit of a monkey and I wouldn't put it past her to make a break for freedom over the edge :eek:

Having said that, they don't look completely child safe anyway and given that we have one of the new South West Pop tops on the van there would be a sizeable gap between the top of the net and the roof that could be breached with relative ease. I might consider a single bunk over the driver and passenger seat and an alternative solution for her. Cost is similar and it does add flexibility.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Austops do one having one fitted this week but like you say wouldn't stop them climbing out even the one in my mates Cali is the same it's to stop them rolling out when asleep.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Austops do one having one fitted this week but like you say wouldn't stop them climbing out even the one in my mates Cali is the same it's to stop them rolling out when asleep.
I guess having one that is a total solution with no means of escape would introduce seperate health and safety issues which is why they are not marketted, so makes sense. I am thinking that just stuffing a few extra pillows up there is probably just as effective to stop them rolling out.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yeah your probably right I'm gonna be sleeping up there with 4year old until my 1 year old has the fear factor of falling out.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I made my own just to stop my daughter rolling out in her sleep. It was enough to do that but also allowed me to pull her over in the night for the loo or in an emergency.

I bought a piece of netting off ebay, there's plenty to choose from. I made sure the gaps weren't going to cause a problem with getting her head stuck in or anything. I cut it to size. Then I used some string and threaded/wound it all around the edges so there was no fraying of the netting etc. possible. So, net done. To fit it in place I used loops of the string and caribiner clip snap hooks to fit to each corner of the net and also bottom centre. These connected to the 2 pull down straps fitted to my roof at the top, and for the bottom I fitted some luggage type loops across the front edge of the one piece bed board. To get in and out it was just a case of un-clipping the 2 hooks at the top to let it drop down. Hope that makes sense. It probably cost me less then a tenner and served it's purpose until she was ok without it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
Sorry to post on an old thread but we have an austop poptop and I am looking for a safety net which would work with this bed. Just to stop the kids rolling out - does anyone know if the remio one would fit?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts