VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at fitting a Sargent EC155 power control unit. In order for this unit to comply with EMC regulations when the engine run signal is applied all the 12v outputs on the units are disabled apart from pin 1 on the output connector. The engine run signal is requried to activate the split charger unit inside the EC155.

I would like to be able to have all the outputs on when driving, to do this I am thinking of fitting an external split charger I then won't apply the engine run signal to the Ec155 and all the outputs will remain on. I have asked tech support at Sargent if this is possible and they declined to comment, I suspect that the EC155 will function fine like this, has anyone else tried this setup ?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
In a word Yes.

Your absolutely correct if you don't apply the engine run signal into it, then it will continue to provide power to all the 12V O/P's.

I'm operating exactly how you describe with a VSR set up taking care of the leisure battery whilst moving and the Sargent taking care of it when on hook up.

The only thing is in regard to the fridge (I assume your having one) if you want the fridge to be switched via the Sargent as a single point of control for all things 12V related then I would use one of your 12V Outputs to control a relay near to your fridge that switches in and out the supply to your fridge. If your going for a compressor type (Waeco etc) then the shorter you can keep the run between the leisure battery and the fridge the better (without running heavier gauge wire then really needed).

Of course this would be dependent on where your fridge and battery are in relation to each other, my battery is under the drivers seat and my fridge almost direct behind the drivers seat under the hob/sink (aka typical Camper Van layout).

If you drop me a PM with your email address I can send you over a copy of my wiring diagram (.pdf format) which shows my set up using the Sargent Ec155 if you want?

Cheers Jason

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that's the exact info I need to know, I assume that with engine running switching between Leisure and vehicle battery makes no difference since the batteries are commoned by split charge. I'll be using a WAECO CR50 with a built in MPS-35 unit that allows it to also run on 240vac, this will ensure that when hooked up on 240v I get maximum current from the charger to the battery. I thought the fridge only took about 3A max, the run from charger to battery will be about 2m long so 2.5mm should be good with no volt drop.

I would be interested in your circuit diagram, I will send pm.

Cheers Jon

·
Registered
571 Posts
I am just waiting to receive my EC155 , and whilst on the phone to the tech guy today, asking him if the unit had a built in split charge unit, I lost the signal, so never got an answer. So this thread has come at the right time..
Has the unit got a built in split charge relay that charges when the engine is running, or do I need to buy a separate one.
Also I want to have the fridge on whilst engine is running, I used to do this in my old motorhome, fridge would be nice and cold before I got on sight, so I could have a cold beer whilst setting up.
New to this electrical stuff, could I have a copy of your wiring diagram aswell Glitch T:
Cheers
Justin

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Thanks that's the exact info I need to know, I assume that with engine running switching between Leisure and vehicle battery makes no difference since the batteries are commoned by split charge. I'll be using a WAECO CR50 with a built in MPS-35 unit that allows it to also run on 240vac, this will ensure that when hooked up on 240v I get maximum current from the charger to the battery. I thought the fridge only took about 3A max, the run from charger to battery will be about 2m long so 2.5mm should be good with no volt drop.

I would be interested in your circuit diagram, I will send pm.

Cheers Jon
Jon,

Thats exactly what I have on my set up, I will send you the circuit diagram tomorrow 1st thing as it's on my main PC, and I'm in the lounge/sitting room using my net book at the moment.

Cheers Jason

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I am just waiting to receive my EC155 , and whilst on the phone to the tech guy today, asking him if the unit had a built in split charge unit, I lost the signal, so never got an answer. So this thread has come at the right time..
Has the unit got a built in split charge relay that charges when the engine is running, or do I need to buy a separate one.
Also I want to have the fridge on whilst engine is running, I used to do this in my old motorhome, fridge would be nice and cold before I got on sight, so I could have a cold beer whilst setting up.
New to this electrical stuff, could I have a copy of your wiring diagram aswell Glitch T:
Cheers
Justin
It does but I think that to get it to operate you have to have the "engine run" signal connected to the unit, but this in turn will mean no 12v O/P's being operational whilst the vehicle is in motion.

You could just have the fridge running directly off the leisure battery via a fuse and switch and this wouldn't be an issue, you would just have to remember to switch off the fridge separately as and when required.

The Ec155 is designed I believe to normally operate in a motor-home with a 3 - way fridge set up.

I went down the VSR - Voltage sensing Relay (Blue Sea Systems Automatic Charging Relay) as it offers certain benefits over the simpler Split Charge Relay route see for details: http://bluesea.com/category/2/productline/overview/387. These are used in blue light emergency services vehicles due to their reliability and quality of build, a bit pricey but well worth it in my mind, especially as it's mounted alongside the vans vehicle battery. Got it from here : http://www.mobilecentre.co.uk/automatic-voltage-sensing-acr-split-charging-relay-1224v-120a-p-326.html and the price has dropped by about £35 since I purchased mine last year.

Happy to send you a copy of my wiring diagram just drop me a PM with your email address.

cheers Jason

·
Registered
10,590 Posts
You could of course open up your ec155 and disconnect the EMC relay. Then connect an engine run signal and everything functions the way it should except you don't lose outputs when engine is running. Don't rate the split charging on these though, fine for caravans and motorhomes that are on hook ups most of the time.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have been pondering on this for some time now and keep coming across some very expensive gear like the blue seas relay for instance!
I like the compact nature of the PMS 3 and the Sargent but given what has been said about the charging rates I think I will seperate everything but can't help feeling that the guys in the know should build their own compact panel which is up to date and rhobust enough for modern needs. For myself I would like to see one combined unit with heavy duty charger and which will take a solar panel as well - I believe the sargent unit trips out as it can't handle the reverse voltage???

How about it you guys in the trade?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have one of these units and after reading a lot of the threads on here I think I am going to go with the split charger from travelvolts (which I believe is Upspex) for when I am on the move but connect the mains charger for when on hookup. Sounds simple enough but have to say I am slightly bricking it about wiring it all in. Theres just so many wires in the provided loom. Luckily though my bro in law is a spark so he has the incentive of a few beers and a free curry when it's all done and working correctly..

:confused::confused:

·
Registered
211 Posts
I missed that! Just what I need. Can you price me up a kit for a T5 with battery under drivers seat and that panel in the rear cupboard?T:

·
Registered
1 Posts
In a word Yes.

Your absolutely correct if you don't apply the engine run signal into it, then it will continue to provide power to all the 12V O/P's.

I'm operating exactly how you describe with a VSR set up taking care of the leisure battery whilst moving and the Sargent taking care of it when on hook up.

The only thing is in regard to the fridge (I assume your having one) if you want the fridge to be switched via the Sargent as a single point of control for all things 12V related then I would use one of your 12V Outputs to control a relay near to your fridge that switches in and out the supply to your fridge. If your going for a compressor type (Waeco etc) then the shorter you can keep the run between the leisure battery and the fridge the better (without running heavier gauge wire then really needed).

Of course this would be dependent on where your fridge and battery are in relation to each other, my battery is under the drivers seat and my fridge almost direct behind the drivers seat under the hob/sink (aka typical Camper Van layout).

If you drop me a PM with your email address I can send you over a copy of my wiring diagram (.pdf format) which shows my set up using the Sargent Ec155 if you want?

Cheers Jason
Old thread I know but Id love a copy of your wiring diagram if you still have it? Ill be installing the EC155 in the next few weeks

Tried to PM you but your inbox is full.

Cheers Chris

·
Registered
1 Posts
In a word Yes.

Cheers Jason
Hi i was wondering if i could have a copy of this wiring diagram to add a split charger to the ec155 many thanks Paul

1 - 15 of 15 Posts