VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just wanted to introduce myself, I'm Rick and have just bought my very first VW camper. Its a 2015 T5.1 T30 140 bhp LWB.
This is my first foray into camper van ownership. My brother has a 1966 fully reconned, RHD, split screen but I prefer the more modern machine. All going well I will pick it up on Wednesday provided we`re not all locked into our homes by then! Hopefully if I need any advice or info then this will be the place to come.
Rick.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thankyou BaT, I have a raft of questions that I'm sure I will be asking but as you rightly say, Wednesday cant come quick enough.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Welcome aboard Rick, ask away, this forum has plenty of helpful knowledgeable folk who are willing to help. Remember there's no such thing as a daft question! 👍

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Not long now , not long now, not long now, not long now, not long now,not long now,not long now,not long now!!
Its wednesday tomorrow 🥳 .like Kelster said hope you can still go and get it 🤞.
A couple of days 'working from home' and you can have it washed,polished and looking super sparkly :cool:
We need pics ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hi all, yes managed to get my van. Picked it up Monday / Tuesday at midnight just before everything shut down!! A long night but home and worth it. I’m very pleased with it, less than 7k miles, never been used as a camper, everything is brand new and works as it should! An amazing bit of kit. Managed to get the cambelt, water pump and tensioners changed and at 140 bhp it pulls very well, im still playing with the Garmin head unit set up!
I’m 6ft 3” and have no problems standing up with the pop top raised. I’m glad I waited and went for the LWB, now I just want to be able to get out and about in it but that will have to wait.
I spent nearly 20 years driving around the UK and Europe as a truck driver through the 80’s and 90’s so I’m used to “living in a box” so the night heater was a “must have”!! When I first started abroad it was two sleeping bags and a woolly hat in the winter!! 😀😀 great fun when it’s -20c!
The only thing I can’t work out is how to drain the fresh water storage tank. I have put water in it to test the pump and heater (all good) but when I went to open the drain valve underneath nothing came out! The Hillside owners manual says to turn the drain valve half a turn but mine only turns a quarter turn then stops! I’m reluctant to force it further in case I break it.
Anyway, when I get some pics sorted I will post a few up. Just can’t wait to use it!

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Welcome Rick, that looks great and it's the very best colour (same as mine). I bought an ex demo 140 Kombi Highline from main dealer 7 years ago and had it professionaly converted. It's only a SWB though but came already lowered along with sport line spoilers, 18" alloys and side bars, so didn't need to add too much. Shame you have to wait to start enjoying it.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Glad to hear it all went ahead, she looks great. While we're all on lockdown, it's the perfect time to get on with the mods (y)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Welcome Rick, was in your shoes last year. Nice looking base van to work on!
I’ve just put up a quick story of my build here SWB Garage (All Versions) but there’s plenty more peoples (and much better than mine...) build threads.

This forum was invaluable for info, no question too daft...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts